The power of encouraging words from the right source...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Crystal

The power of encouraging words from the right source...

Post by Crystal » March 16th, 2010, 6:05 pm

I wanted to share this with you for a couple of reasons, 1. I am super stoked about it! and 2. I just wanted to encourage those of you that can give this kind of encouragement to others, please do.

I have a good friend that is friends with a published author, I'm not naming names just in case he reads this. lol.

Without me asking, my friend sent a few of my chapter to this man, and then today sent all of the first 7 chapters I currently have.

His words were amazingly uplifting and so encouraging, especially since I sat down at my computer today and stared at 1 page for quite sometime and never added anything due to a lack of knowing whats next. But right now I feel as if I could skip dinner, not sleep and just tick away at my computer for hours!

I will share an excerpt from the email.

I thought it was nicely written, very fluid and flowing….It has a rather sweet way about it….It is simply written, but not at all simple……Overall, it reflects an open, thoughtful and cerebral style……Enjoyed it!

Those few lines might inspire me to finish by my (self set) deadline. I am hoping to finish by my birthday, which is now only a few weeks away URG!
Working my very first attempt at a mystery novel. 1st draft

marilyn peake

Re: The power of encouraging words from the right source...

Post by marilyn peake » March 16th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Congratulations, Crystal! Words of encouragement like those can keep you going when you're very tired and want to quit. You go, girl!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » March 18th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Congrats!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Ryan

Post by Ryan » March 18th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Nice. It's cool to get that kind of response from someone who has been through it. When I first sent my manuscript to a friend of a friend who was an editor, I feared he might not even take it on because it sucked so bad. He liked it and did a fantastic job with it. Cut a ton, but he liked it. Any bit of validation helps the cause.

I think I needed less validation in Kindergarten to feel good about things!

Haven't read her book, but after my wife read Eat Pray Love she forwarded this quote from Gilbert's website: "Don't beat yourself up. Let others do it."
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/