Query: Crossing Fate (Contemporary YA)

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
EvelynEhrlich

Query: Crossing Fate (Contemporary YA)

Post by EvelynEhrlich » March 5th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I'm far from declaring victory yet, but in case anyone who read the first draft of my query is curious, here's the version of the query that I sent that got me a request for a partial. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Dear [Agent]:

Helene Jacobsen has never believed in fairy tales. But when the plucky seventeen-year old meets Leo Andreyev, a time-traveling Russian prince, that’s what she gets – a complicated, messed-up version of a fairy tale, anyway. Now, on top of her normal problems, like dodging her doting ex and helping her best friend find a prom date, Helene has to figure out how dating a guy from the nineteenth century actually works.

Her Prince Charming isn't perfect, either. Leo's got a few secrets he'd rather leave behind on the other side of the time portal. But when Leo's deadly past catches up to him and resurfaces in the present, Helene realizes that "happily ever after" won't come easily. In fact, she might have to rescue the prince, instead of the other way around.

CROSSING FATE is a 55,000-word, young adult romance in a contemporary setting. It is a stand-alone novel, but if successful, I hope it will become the first book of a series.

I chose to submit to you because [personal bit about Agent.]

I have a degree in Russian literature and history. I am a member of SCBWI, and CROSSING FATE is my first book.

I would be happy to submit additional materials to you. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

CoachMT

Re: Query: Crossing Fate (Contemporary YA)

Post by CoachMT » March 5th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Congratulations! Best of luck to you!

Erica75

Re: Query: Crossing Fate (Contemporary YA)

Post by Erica75 » March 5th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Yea! I like your changes, this version is better. Congrats on the partial!
we blog - erica and christy - http://lynneawest.blogspot.com/