The literary agent is also a practicing author - say what?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
tameson

Re: The literary agent is also a practicing author - say what?

Post by tameson » February 5th, 2010, 11:30 am

Author Author talks about this issue a lot. One of her points was that an author views their work as self expression, something personal and artistic. Everyone else in the business views it as a business. With these two very different perspectives, it makes sense that there are misunderstandings between the two. Professionalism matters. Also, an agent wants to know that an author is capable of following basic instructions with grace. If an author refuses to change font and set up issues, what is going to happen when the publisher comes back with suggested edits? Yes, you can view them as an employee, but still no one wants to work for a jerk or an idiot. And authors are in large supply so they don't have to work for someone they don't like.

Username

Post by Username » February 6th, 2010, 6:27 am

Remus Shepherd wrote:
Username wrote: I'm looking for somebody who will be more open than this.
You won't find it. Sorry.
Actually, you're wrong.

I've sent the exact same message to other agents, simply asking them if they would accept a ten-page printed submission that was sitting right here on my desk, just waiting to be dispatched. A half-a-dozen times now I've received the exact same message: Yes.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » February 6th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Username wrote:
Remus Shepherd wrote:
Username wrote: I'm looking for somebody who will be more open than this.
You won't find it. Sorry.
Actually, you're wrong.

I've sent the exact same message to other agents, simply asking them if they would accept a ten-page printed submission that was sitting right here on my desk, just waiting to be dispatched. A half-a-dozen times now I've received the exact same message: Yes.
Just because they're being patient with you doesn't mean this is a good strategy. Just send the query/pages. Asking if it's okay to send a query when their submission guidelines are already posted just wastes time, including your own!

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » February 6th, 2010, 3:15 pm

This thread has really run its course and has ended up somewhere completely different. I'm closing it now.