Signs You're Doing It Right

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
JohnDurvin

Signs You're Doing It Right

Post by JohnDurvin » March 6th, 2012, 11:58 pm

What are some things that have happened that let you know you're good at writing? Personally, I'm especially proud to have written lines that make me laugh long after I've written them. Serialized publishing might not be good for the wallet, but man is it good on the ego to see complete strangers commenting and joining the Facebook group. Most recently, an acquaintance admitted that she's got a crush on a character. (I'm talking about the web-comic in my banner; she's got a thing for Arlecchino.) Anybody else had any mini-success stories?
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

melanieconklin

Re: Signs You're Doing It Right

Post by melanieconklin » March 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I'm beta testing a novel with teens. One of my betas wrote me yesterday:
"I was upset when I flipped the last page and realized there was nothing more."

That comment will fuel me for days!

dios4vida

Re: Signs You're Doing It Right

Post by dios4vida » March 12th, 2012, 1:32 pm

(I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging here.)

The absolute best, most encouraging thing I've ever had was to have Nathan review my first 250 words on his Page Critique Friday. To have him say that my page was actually pretty good, and then the comments come in saying the same, was amazing. That was several months ago and I still get all giddy when I remember that. When I'm having a bad day, all I have to remember is that Nathan, Bransforumers, and random strangers all had very good things to say about my first page. That's all the motivation and excitement I need to keep going.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson