I'm moving out!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 14th, 2011, 2:54 pm

I really can't help but tell everyone because I'm so excited but...

I'M FINALLY MOVING OUT!

I just couldn't take it anymore. I've been living with my parents, hoping beyond hope I could fix things between them or care for them enough that my mom might get better with her mental issues but...it's been almost thirty years (my entire life) and I can't take it anymore. I've been her psychologist since I was a child and I can't do it. I just can't.

So I finally did it yesterday. I signed a lease, and I move in on the 22nd.

I am ten levels of excited and scared.

I don't know if any of you have seen Tangled, but that part where Rapunzel got out of the tower is totally me over the past couple of days.

(OMG this is so amazing/I am the worst daughter in the world...)

And yes, my mom makes me think of the old woman in that movie. XD

I'M JUST SO EXCITED! AHHHHHHH!

Any advice for a first time liver aloner person? XD So far I think I'm handling it well. I have lists and am taking things one step at a time. It's so...surreal how planned I've been. O_O
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

JohnDurvin
Posts: 160
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by JohnDurvin » April 14th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Here's some advice I wish somebody had told me (assuming you're also broke like most first-timers):

When shopping for groceries, plan ahead; remember that you need whole meals, not just delicious snacks, and you need several a day from now until the next time you plan to be at the grocery store. Stock up so you don't have to come back, but try to keep from impulse buying too much. Stick with versatile ingredients and simple recipes, especially if you hate cooking.

Keep track of when your bills are due, and if you're as broke as I was when I was first starting out, keep track of what the late fees and penalties are. For instance, my internet company has none until it's three months since you've paid them, but the power company gives you seven days before they shut it off, plus a thirty-dollar turning-it-back-on-again fee.

Furniture can always come from thrift stores. Always (until you're sure you've got plenty left over after the monthly bills, anyway). Don't just go to the nearest Goodwill, though--shop around. Febreze all fabrics, whether they seem to need it at first or not; the bottle says not to saturate it, but as long as you've got a good box-fan to dry it off with, go for it.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 14th, 2011, 3:32 pm

JohnDurvin wrote:Here's some advice I wish somebody had told me (assuming you're also broke like most first-timers):

When shopping for groceries, plan ahead; remember that you need whole meals, not just delicious snacks, and you need several a day from now until the next time you plan to be at the grocery store. Stock up so you don't have to come back, but try to keep from impulse buying too much. Stick with versatile ingredients and simple recipes, especially if you hate cooking.

Keep track of when your bills are due, and if you're as broke as I was when I was first starting out, keep track of what the late fees and penalties are. For instance, my internet company has none until it's three months since you've paid them, but the power company gives you seven days before they shut it off, plus a thirty-dollar turning-it-back-on-again fee.

Furniture can always come from thrift stores. Always (until you're sure you've got plenty left over after the monthly bills, anyway). Don't just go to the nearest Goodwill, though--shop around. Febreze all fabrics, whether they seem to need it at first or not; the bottle says not to saturate it, but as long as you've got a good box-fan to dry it off with, go for it.
Well, the way I've figured, I should have enough, plus (though I'm not going to use them too much) I have two good big credit cards to use if push comes to shove. I don't need a lot of furniture, because I'm not going to have company. XD It's just going to be me.

Everything is in walking distance for me, like, five minutes. So I'm saving on gas even for work. :D
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Margo
Posts: 1712
Joined: April 5th, 2010, 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Margo » April 14th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Just one tip, about packing and moving day. Take one box and label it something like "First Night Box" and put everything you MUST have that night and the next day in that box -- medications, toiletries for a shower that night or the next morning, pj's, the next day's clothes, cell phone charger, alarm clock. Envisioning that night and the next day will help you decide what you will need. There's nothing worse than trying to tear through a bunch of taped-up boxes to find that one essential item you have to have almost everyday. Make sure you ALWAYS know where that box is during the moving process. Give it a special place in the new home (a top closet shelf, the corner of the master bedroom), someplace you know it will be safe from other people moving it or stacking other stuff on top of it.

Edit: Actually, I have another tip, about furniture. Craigslist is another good furniture resource, and many sellers will deliver to you. However, and I probably don't need to tell you this, just make sure you never go anywhere to look at furniture by yourself and are not home alone when it's time for the furniture delivery.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 14th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Margo wrote:Just one tip, about packing and moving day. Take one box and label it something like "First Night Box" and put everything you MUST have that night and the next day in that box -- medications, toiletries for a shower that night or the next morning, pj's, the next day's clothes, cell phone charger, alarm clock. Envisioning that night and the next day will help you decide what you will need. There's nothing worse than trying to tear through a bunch of taped-up boxes to find that one essential item you have to have almost everyday. Make sure you ALWAYS know where that box is during the moving process. Give it a special place in the new home (a top closet shelf, the corner of the master bedroom), someplace you know it will be safe from other people moving it or stacking other stuff on top of it.

Edit: Actually, I have another tip, about furniture. Craigslist is another good furniture resource, and many sellers will deliver to you. However, and I probably don't need to tell you this, just make sure you never go anywhere to look at furniture by yourself and are not home alone when it's time for the furniture delivery.
OMG, I remember that. I moved twice when I got here to Bowling Green and living out of a box was a special experience. XD

I'm not sure on furniture yet, though I know what I want and where, but I do know that I need a washer\dryer for sure. There are hookups...and lowes is just down the street. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

User avatar
Robin
Posts: 315
Joined: April 8th, 2010, 9:09 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Robin » April 14th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Yay!!! Congratulations!!!

One thing I wish I would have found out when I moved out in college: DAVE RAMSEY! Google him. Get his program. Do it now!! Nothing better than living completely debt free and hey, it may inspire you to purchase your very own home next.

I also love Margo's suggestion: 1st night box and be careful with craigslist.

My only question for you: So are we having the next forum party at your house instead of Nathan's new office ;)

Hugs!
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 14th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Robin wrote:Yay!!! Congratulations!!!

One thing I wish I would have found out when I moved out in college: DAVE RAMSEY! Google him. Get his program. Do it now!! Nothing better than living completely debt free and hey, it may inspire you to purchase your very own home next.

I also love Margo's suggestion: 1st night box and be careful with craigslist.

My only question for you: So are we having the next forum party at your house instead of Nathan's new office ;)

Hugs!
LOL. I don't think much would fit! And they just cleaned the carpets! But I would love to entertain if I can feed people off my two plates and two bowls.

(I have a bazillion doll sized tea sets though?)

As far as finances, right now I'm just flapping by, put this there and that over here to get into the place. I had some money saved up for a just in caser, and I'm using that and credit cards (as needed, because I know I can pay those off quickly when I feel more as ease). I'm thinking that as soon as I get settled, I'll probably have /more/ money, because my mom had a tendancy to eat through her money and other people's money as well. My health will also improve by getting out of a toxic environment, so I won't be going to the doctor as much, and I'll be less stressed and wanting to spend money. And, I can walk places so I won't use the car, and if I want to go somewhere, I'll have to carry things, and it'll make shopping trips less heavy, and less expensive because I have to /lug it up three flights/.

I'm amazed at how my stupid head thought this out so much. XD Apparently it's been planning this longer than I thought. >.>

I'm being taken over by hostile brain cells!
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Collectonian
Posts: 159
Joined: February 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Collectonian » April 14th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Yay for moving out! I remember when I did that (though at a younger age), it was awesome and scary at the same time.

From the safety side of things, advice my dad gave me that has worked well for me.

* Be aware of your surroundings when out and about, especially if its dark out or not too many people are around.
* If you have regular single pane windows, put a metal or wooden bar diagonally in the top area so the window can't just be pushed opened from below. Basically someone would have to break the window twice, once to unlock, once to unbar. :-)

On the more fun side:

* Find the names, numbers and menus of all the local places that deliver to you (and reviews so you know you to avoid). Sometimes you just want delivery! LOL
* Second the making a list when grocery shopping and planning out some actual meals, not just easy to eat frozen stuff
* get yourself a food sealer. It is a single person's best friend! You can make a whole pan of lasagna, for example, then slice it up into serves, freeze each one individually, then you have it available year round :-D Also found that many stores don't sell a lot of meats in single person portions, so can buy and split. The economy packs are usually cheaper anyway.
* Also I recommend investing in a decent set of cookware. You're much more inclined to cook when you have functional cookware, and a decent set of knifes. :-)

And money stuff:
* Also second watching the finances; avoid using credit cards as much as possible. I told myself the same thing long ago, that I could pay them off quickly once I was more settled - then I lost my job. Freeze those credit cards (literally, put them in a bowl with water, stick in freezer and freeze). Having to thaw them out creates a good psychological barrier to spending without really really needing too :-D
* Set yourself up a budget now, making sure to include set stuff (like rent), and monthly bills like utilities, cable, internet, etc. Include some money to savings so you can build up an emergency fund, and some for entertainment, fun money. As other's noted, Dave Ramsey is your friend. I also recommend watching Suze Orman and Gail Val-Oxlade's shows that come on CNBC at night (if you get that channel). Between the three of them, you will be able to have a great now and be well set up for the future as well.
* And for the love of all that is beautiful, get yourself renter's insurance, now! It is very cheap, but it is vital in case of robbery, building burning down, etc. A friend of mine did not have it, despite my warnings, then got robbed twice. in the first, they stole $800 in gaming systems he couldn't afford to replace. In the second robbery, they stole the $700 class ring I'd scrimped and saved to buy him for his graduation gift. If he'd had insurance, he would have been able to get it replaced. I was not a happy friend for awhile.

Once you get the key, and get there, dance around and go "its mine its mine its mine" :-D

User avatar
Cookie
Posts: 540
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
Location: Berkshires
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Cookie » April 14th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Congrats on the move!

I am going to second collectonian on getting decent cooking and knife sets. I make huge batches of soup for lunch, then freeze it all in meal size portions. Also don't have to worry about accidental spillage in your bag on the way to work when your soup is frozen.

I live on the fourth floor, so I know all about lugging stuff up three flights of stairs. I seriously owe my friends and family for life (I have a lot of stuff. Really, it's quite disgusting considering my age). It's really good exercise, and will make you more efficient. You'll want to get everything done in one trip so you're not constantly running up and down all those stairs. That is, unless you want to constantly run up and down all those stairs. I guess it is good exercise.

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 15th, 2011, 10:10 am

Congrats on moving out! This is an awesome step :-)

Something I wish someone would have told me: You don't need everything right when you move into a new place. It might feel like you need everything you're used to, but you don't. I wish I'd have saved my money and not furnished my first place right away since you find out really fast that living alone means you'll probably only use a small portion of your apartment to do pretty habitual things. (For me it was my desk and my cookware. The nice living room set, the dining room table, etc all could have waited.)

Try very very very hard not to use the credit cards. Most things you don't need bad enough to use them. I wish someone would have told me that too. Well, someone might have. I wish I would have listened when I was young!

Find a couple of kitchen items you absolutely love and work with those. You don't need lots of gadgets. My favorite purchase was a big cook pot that came with a steamer basket that could sit just inside the pot. I still have it, in fact. I used it to make EVERYTHING so that I could make big batches of something and then eat it the rest of the week or freeze it. Good for: Chili, soup, cooking big pieces of meat in broth, pasta, and steaming veggies while cooking something else. I am pretty sure I lived on veggie chili for the first six months I moved into the place.

One last piece of advice: Get something you can use for protection. It doesn't have to be anything crazy, a small can of pepper spray (if it is legal in your area) for example is what I had so I could take it to the parking lot at night or very early in the morning when I left. A friend of mine kept a baseball bat under her bed. It doesn't matter what and you might NEVER need it (god I hope you don't!) but there was something comforting about knowing it was there when you are a girl living alone. I lived in a nice apartment complex but I had a neighbor who gave me the creeeeeeps. If you have a sliding glass door in your new place, get a piece of wood or a broom handle and cut it to the length of your door slide while it is closed so you can stick it in there and the door can't be broken into and forced open while you are away.

Ok advice over! Promise to post pictures and tell use verything ok?

OH and I second Margo's advice about having a box with your necessities clearly marked when you move in. I bought one of those clear palstic totes and threw all my emergency stuff in it when I moved so I could keep it separate at all times.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 15th, 2011, 10:26 am

Sommer Leigh wrote:Congrats on moving out! This is an awesome step :-)

Something I wish someone would have told me: You don't need everything right when you move into a new place. It might feel like you need everything you're used to, but you don't. I wish I'd have saved my money and not furnished my first place right away since you find out really fast that living alone means you'll probably only use a small portion of your apartment to do pretty habitual things. (For me it was my desk and my cookware. The nice living room set, the dining room table, etc all could have waited.)

Try very very very hard not to use the credit cards. Most things you don't need bad enough to use them. I wish someone would have told me that too. Well, someone might have. I wish I would have listened when I was young!

Find a couple of kitchen items you absolutely love and work with those. You don't need lots of gadgets. My favorite purchase was a big cook pot that came with a steamer basket that could sit just inside the pot. I still have it, in fact. I used it to make EVERYTHING so that I could make big batches of something and then eat it the rest of the week or freeze it. Good for: Chili, soup, cooking big pieces of meat in broth, pasta, and steaming veggies while cooking something else. I am pretty sure I lived on veggie chili for the first six months I moved into the place.

One last piece of advice: Get something you can use for protection. It doesn't have to be anything crazy, a small can of pepper spray (if it is legal in your area) for example is what I had so I could take it to the parking lot at night or very early in the morning when I left. A friend of mine kept a baseball bat under her bed. It doesn't matter what and you might NEVER need it (god I hope you don't!) but there was something comforting about knowing it was there when you are a girl living alone. I lived in a nice apartment complex but I had a neighbor who gave me the creeeeeeps. If you have a sliding glass door in your new place, get a piece of wood or a broom handle and cut it to the length of your door slide while it is closed so you can stick it in there and the door can't be broken into and forced open while you are away.

Ok advice over! Promise to post pictures and tell use verything ok?

OH and I second Margo's advice about having a box with your necessities clearly marked when you move in. I bought one of those clear palstic totes and threw all my emergency stuff in it when I moved so I could keep it separate at all times.
Oh, I know it. Everyone is all "you need to buy this and this and this" and I'm like, "Uhm, why? I only need these things right now."

My mom said I need chairs and sofas and stuff, and I told her I'm not entertaining guests yet, and if they want to sit they have two options. The bathtub or get the heck out. XD There is a landing!

I figure the most important thing now is a washer\dryer because I need clothing to be clean, and kitchen stuff to eat. That way I save on quarters and I don't have to lug (it's not safe either!) and I can save on meals.

I've already started the "box" list and the necessity list by room. XD Kitchen\Bathroom\Groceries. I'm such a dork.

I already grew up with sticks in the doors and windows of my house (my mom was very scared of intruders) so I was already planning on that. XD It's one reason I chose the third floor. I don't think we have any ninjas that can get in the fenced patio, but...I have seen some pretty wily people here...and some hot looking Asians... (I'm totally not being rascist here, it's a melting pot this city).

Eee, I'm so excited. If I could just steal enough paper boxes from work. Now /I/ have to be a ninja!
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 15th, 2011, 10:32 am

sierramcconnell wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:Congrats on moving out! This is an awesome step :-)

I already grew up with sticks in the doors and windows of my house (my mom was very scared of intruders) so I was already planning on that. XD It's one reason I chose the third floor. I don't think we have any ninjas that can get in the fenced patio, but...I have seen some pretty wily people here...and some hot looking Asians... (I'm totally not being rascist here, it's a melting pot this city).

Eee, I'm so excited. If I could just steal enough paper boxes from work. Now /I/ have to be a ninja!
Dude, if you have ninjas coming after you, you have bigger things to worry about new furniture :-)
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 15th, 2011, 10:38 am

Sommer Leigh wrote:Dude, if you have ninjas coming after you, you have bigger things to worry about new furniture :-)
Well, there are some strange happenings here, but I think I'll be relatively okay. I know crazy, and it's me. :@

...that reminds me...

[Writes Down: ...purchase frying pan]
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Margo
Posts: 1712
Joined: April 5th, 2010, 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Margo » April 15th, 2011, 10:39 am

Sommer Leigh wrote:One last piece of advice: Get something you can use for protection.
Bullmastiff. Check. (They're also guy magnets.)
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 15th, 2011, 11:08 am

Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:One last piece of advice: Get something you can use for protection.
Bullmastiff. Check. (They're also guy magnets.)
Bonus!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests