Ever Have A Character That Made You Cry?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Mira

Re: Ever Have A Character That Made You Cry?

Post by Mira » November 10th, 2010, 1:11 pm

karenbb wrote:It's a very difficult club to get into to, the one where you get to read her book, and it's not for the faint of heart. It involves a finger prick, a dance around a fire, virgin sacrifice (and let me tell you, it was not easy to find one of those), and other things that are simply unsuitable for polite conversation.
Your group sounds AWESOME. I've always wanted to prick my finger and dance around the fire while a virgin was sacrificed. I hope you have hot chocolate, then it would be like a life dream. How do I join? Please? Pretty please?

cheekychook wrote:Quill, BComet, Mira---Flattered by the interest, but I'm afraid I'll have to see some ID... :)
I can't give you my I.D. because the police have it. Or was it Homeland Security? Anyway, it's all just a misunderstanding, so no biggie. But my mom says she'll vouch for me. Will that work?

Robin

Post by Robin » November 10th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:1. Feed by Mira Grant has a deceptively heartbreaking twist. Generally zombie stories shouldn't bring the tears. This one did.
Loved that book. Couldn't believe Mira Grant took such a huge risk in killing off one of the MCs...WOW!! Can't wait for the next one to come out.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

karenbb

Post by karenbb » November 10th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Mira wrote:Your group sounds AWESOME. I've always wanted to prick my finger and dance around the fire while a virgin was sacrificed. I hope you have hot chocolate, then it would be like a life dream. How do I join? Please? Pretty please?
Mira,

Anyone who wants to dance around the fire is welcome. Of course, we will have hot chocolate! I probably should have mentioned that the first time. I'll bring the marshmallows.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » November 10th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Margo wrote:
Of course, the trick is to get the readers to cry.
LOL

But you are right, if your characters move you and the reader, then maybe...you're on.

Mira

Post by Mira » November 10th, 2010, 1:42 pm

karenbb wrote:
Mira wrote:Your group sounds AWESOME. I've always wanted to prick my finger and dance around the fire while a virgin was sacrificed. I hope you have hot chocolate, then it would be like a life dream. How do I join? Please? Pretty please?
Mira,

Anyone who wants to dance around the fire is welcome. Of course, we will have hot chocolate! I probably should have mentioned that the first time. I'll bring the marshmallows.
Yay! And I'll bring some chocolate. We can feed smores to the virgin. It sounds amazing!!

Margo

Post by Margo » November 10th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Hot chocolate and smores??? [cough]amateurs[/cough]

Dancing around a fire...naked...positively requires alcohol. Wine is acceptible, provided you have at least a bottle per person. Mead is even better, preferably from a small specialty brewery on a first name basis with several Norse gods. Greek would do. If it's commercial mead, it should be pomegranate. And whoever comes in a virgin sure doesn't leave one. And beast! You must have roast beast!

Ahem, so I've heard on good authority.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

bcomet

Post by bcomet » November 10th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Margo wrote:Hot chocolate and smores??? [cough]amateurs[/cough]

Dancing around a fire...naked...positively requires alcohol. Wine is acceptible, provided you have at least a bottle per person. Mead is even better, preferably from a small specialty brewery on a first name basis with several Norse gods. Greek would do. If it's commercial mead, it should be pomegranate. And whoever comes in a virgin sure doesn't leave one. And beast! You must have roast beast!

Ahem, so I've heard on good authority.
You had me on Naked Dancing. But, Alcohol too? Wine? Private Label Brewed-By-The-Gods Mead? Beast?

I'm Team Margo.

(this is sooo not about making me cry though)

polymath

Post by polymath » November 10th, 2010, 2:27 pm

A moveable bacchanalia from Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1970. Quite a tableau, or so I've heard. I laughed; I cried; I wondered and awed; and tripped and crashed along with Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo.

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers. . . Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. . . . But the only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge." **

** Copied from the third draft of the novel's screenplay script by Alex Cox and Tod Davies;
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/fear ... x-cox.html
Spread the love of written word.

Margo

Post by Margo » November 10th, 2010, 2:38 pm

bcomet wrote:You had me on Naked Dancing. But, Alcohol too? Wine? Private Label Brewed-By-The-Gods Mead? Beast?
LOL. Yes, this is what happens when you send an impressionable teen off to a ritzy liberal arts college that requires the seniors show up a weekend early at the beginning of the year to welcome the freshmen with a Seducers and Corrupters party. They come home with a twisted imagination and a love of mythology and Classical Latin.
polymath wrote:A moveable bacchanalia...
DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! polymath wins the prize for using one of my favorite words!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

bcomet

Post by bcomet » November 23rd, 2010, 1:57 pm

Well, I'm about halfway through my WiP at 42,000 words (estimated to complete around 80-85,000) (and NANOWRIMO write-a-thon) and the last two chapters that I wrote all through the night and this morning made me cry and cry.
It was so sad!
I just sat there at my keyboard, tears streaming down my cheeks.
I'm sort of beside myself. Why would I do that to a character?
But it's not my story. It's the character's and holy cow, she's just lost about everything she could possibly lose.
(And I thought it was sad when the dog died two chapters earlier.)
How can a character affect the writer so deeply?
I've always fallen in love with my characters, but this one just breaks my heart in two.
Man.

Margo

Post by Margo » November 23rd, 2010, 4:38 pm

bcomet wrote:Why would I do that to a character?
It's your job. Spare a character, spoil the story.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » January 13th, 2011, 8:49 am

Yeah, I had to do something horrible to character. So I called my friend and ranted for a good hour about how I didn't want to do it, and it felt like injuring my child. She consoled me and told me it was necessary, after which I wrote the scene, weeping uncontrollably. I think their still might be tear stains in the book I wrote it in.

CV

aduson

Post by aduson » January 13th, 2011, 8:17 pm

I was reading Under the Hawthorne Tree aloud to my daughter. It's set during the Irish Potato Famine. Early in the story the family is burying (under the hawthorne tree) a baby who had died. My throat tightened and tears sprang to my eyes and I couldn't go on. My daughter completely unaffected looked at me incredulously and asked, "Are you crying?"

Um, yes. I chalk it up to a mommy thing.
You have to grow up before you can grow old. - Allie