What are you listening to?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
lexcade

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by lexcade » January 5th, 2010, 5:14 am

Marla Warren wrote:The Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I've never seen them in concert, but I hope to someday.
they are AMAZING.

i'm on a huge coldplay/muse/gin blossoms kick right now.
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

abc

Post by abc » January 8th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I have to say, my personal radio station on Pandora "Ali Radio" is flipping awesome! How do they get it so right? Some Neko Case, some Death Cab, some Spoon, a lot of Josh Rouse. Even some of my favorite Beatles tunes here and there. Hee hee.

I'm really liking the Avett Brothers lately. And the new Beach House. Vampire Weekend is the most perfect band ever! New album soon. Yay!

Terry Towery

Post by Terry Towery » January 9th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Right now, I'm alternating between "Nine in the Afternoon" by Panic at the Disco, and "That's Entertainment" by the Jam.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 9th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Recently watched a couple of Lady GaGa videos, and realized that her catchy dance music would be fantastic for exercising on the treadmill. Went out and bought one of her CDs, THE FAME MONSTER (DELUXE VERSION). OK, I still need to get on the treadmill, but at least I have music ready for when I do ...
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Holly

Post by Holly » January 9th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Richard Dreyfus is in his bathrobe, telling his wife that everything's going to be fine, that "all this stuff is coming down." He's pulling down the UFO articles and just snapped the top off the little Devil's Tower model in his rec room. Now he's pulling up the bushes in the yard.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 10th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Holly,

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is one of my most favorite movies ever! I have seen that movie sooooooooo many times, including both the regular and extended versions. Richard Dreyfuss is so good in that. I love the scene where he's throwing dirt and stuff into the kitchen sink through the window, and all the neighbors are staring and his wife thinks he's going insane. What a hoot!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Emily White

Post by Emily White » January 11th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Not only do I love to listen to music while I write (to get in the right mood), but all of my characters have theme songs. Unbreakable, by Fireflight is my MC's theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVl0Mb7CsU

I'm really obsessed with music. I don't think I'd be able to function without it.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

Holly

Post by Holly » January 11th, 2010, 6:51 pm

marilyn peake wrote:Holly,

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is one of my most favorite movies ever! I have seen that movie sooooooooo many times, including both the regular and extended versions. Richard Dreyfuss is so good in that. I love the scene where he's throwing dirt and stuff into the kitchen sink through the window, and all the neighbors are staring and his wife thinks he's going insane. What a hoot!
Hi, Marilyn... yes, the scene where he's throwing bushes and shoveling dirt through the kitchen window is a scream. My favorite scene, though, is when he's driving the tow truck down a country road during the power outage. He can't find Cornbread Road on the map. A driver pulls up behind him, he waves the driver on, the driver yells, "You're in the middle of the road, jackass!" and Richard Dreyfuss yells back, "Can you tell me where Cornbread is? Turkey!" Then another set of lights pulls up behind Richard. When he waves the lights on, instead of going around him like the first driver, the lights go up...

I didn't know there was an extended version!

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 12th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Holly,

Oh, definitely - that scene is also awesome!!
Marilyn Peake

aspiring_x

Post by aspiring_x » February 1st, 2010, 11:09 pm

Emily White wrote:Not only do I love to listen to music while I write (to get in the right mood), but all of my characters have theme songs.
Not quite all my characters, but more like mood music for certain kinds of scenes. For example:
suspense... lind, nilsen, fuentes, and holm's cover of u2's with or without you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYw9E0bW9RE
hopeful/ happy... not without grace's someday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SYH2o860Kc
sad... not without grace's cover of coldplay's fix you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpEl5vhd1c

crumejack

Post by crumejack » May 20th, 2010, 8:00 am

I am listening Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and Franz Ferdinand. Both albums are very nice to listen. I like to listen them all the time. Right now i am listening the song waiting for tonight of Jeniffer Lopez.

karenbb

Post by karenbb » May 21st, 2010, 10:32 am

Bon Iver is my favorite band to write to...perfect for those times when you need to be poetic.

Holly

Post by Holly » May 21st, 2010, 3:22 pm

Right now, the silence of nature. The coos of mourning doves in the cypresses. The musical chuckles of a catbird in the magnolia tree. The fan on the sunporch. I love the fan and sometimes turn it on in the middle of winter just to hear the sound, which brings back memories of long ago summers: lemonade, and the shade under the elms by the side of the house, and white curtains floating in the breeze. This sunporch is a little corner of heaven. My collie is here on the cool concrete floor, and I have my novel, my laptop, and a thermos of Turkish coffee, and that's all I need in the whole wide world.

Quill

Post by Quill » May 21st, 2010, 3:40 pm

Holly wrote:Right now, the silence of nature. The coos of mourning doves in the cypresses. The musical chuckles of a catbird in the magnolia tree. The fan on the sunporch. I love the fan and sometimes turn it on in the middle of winter just to hear the sound, which brings back memories of long ago summers: lemonade, and the shade under the elms by the side of the house, and white curtains floating in the breeze. This sunporch is a little corner of heaven. My collie is here on the cool concrete floor, and I have my novel, my laptop, and a thermos of Turkish coffee, and that's all I need in the whole wide world.
Yowza, that's good writing. Takes me there.

Holly

Post by Holly » May 21st, 2010, 4:00 pm

Quill, I am just a passionate porcher. Once summer hits, I take my books, my dog, my cats, and my coffee and just live out here until it gets so dark the fireflies come out and I can't even see the light switch by the kitchen door. My novel has outdoor scenes, so I can find my way to something real by listening to nature.