Facebook vs. Twitter

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
amy sue nathan

Facebook vs. Twitter

Post by amy sue nathan » December 8th, 2009, 8:08 am

Which one sucks most of your time? Draws you out of your WIP? Keeps you the longest? The distraction may hinder but does it help at all?

For me Twitter is a great distraction when I'm organizing a scene in my head. The Tweets can be digested and responded to - or just browsed. I'm a total pantser so sometimes I'm writing and need to slow myself down, rearrange things in my head. Facebook is too long-winded and personal for that. Although FB tethers me for longer periods of time because I know the people on my FB page.

I love the writerly insights on Twitter -- but I find I get the best response to my writing on FB.

It's a draw!!

dmarie84

Re: Facebook vs. Twitter

Post by dmarie84 » December 8th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Facebook, by far. Most of my friends aren't on Twitter and I normally don't spend more than five minutes on Twitter any given day.

On the other hand, I'm always checking Facebook. I've been a member of that site a few months after it started when it was just for networking with college students. It was a big time sucker then and even more so now! I must admit, I also get a little tied up with playing the little Farmville app--sad, but true.
The pleasantest of all diversions is to sit alone under the lamp, a book spread out before you, and to make friends with people of a distant past you have never known.--Yoshida Kenko, Essays in Idleness

My blog: Tales from the Writing Front

tchann

Post by tchann » December 8th, 2009, 6:19 pm

For me, it's a tie.

I check Twitter obsessively while I'm at work. Since it's on my iGoogle page, it makes it easy to keep in touch with friends who are equally distracted while at work.

Facebook, however, barely runs on my work computer, so I'm rarely there. But when I'm at home, I play all sorts of Facebook games and even have one constantly running in the background so I can keep an eye on it while I'm doing other things (and playing real games).

Some of my friends tie the two together and have their Twitter feeds update their Facebooks. But that's going a -little- too far for my tastes. >.>

HeatherLane

Post by HeatherLane » December 8th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Neither.

Blogs. Blogs and the Blueboards.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » December 8th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Twitter used to suck me in big-time. Now, I only check it once in a while. I follow a number of people with interesting news in their tweets - authors, TV personalities, news reporters, literary agents. Got some great info about writing contests, steampunk cakes, how to make awesome Halloween costumes, etc. on Twitter. Am trying to spend only a limited amount of time on the Internet right now, trying to take a break from both writing and most of the Internet until January. I like Nathan's new Forum - I can hop in for a few minutes here and there, post and read other posts, and hop back off the Internet. Good stuff. When I'm writing a novel, I actually spend more time on the Internet. I hop onto the Internet for lots of mini-breaks when writing. It clears my head, kind of like hitting a "Refresh" button in my brain, which somehow allows me to continue writing for many long hours at a time.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

MosesSiregar

Post by MosesSiregar » December 9th, 2009, 12:58 pm

I much prefer Facebook at this point.
Passion for the Writing Life Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

Find my work at: Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | GoodReads

rose

Post by rose » December 9th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Yeah, I know, Moses. <g> You and I were among the first posters here and I recognized your name as one I had just seen when my astrologer husband, John, was showing me all his befriended new friends on his newly built Facebook page.

Altogether now, in our best squeaky voices: It's a Small, Small World After All!
Follow my work at Smashwords:

Riders on the Rez http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/35697
The Good-Bye Man

Trw78Writes

Post by Trw78Writes » December 14th, 2009, 5:55 pm

It used to be Facebook. Then, a guy I follow on blogger said to give Twitter a try. It was "meh" at first until I found all these writers in the trenches and their tweets are really inspiring. I do use Facebook a lot, but I'm a tweeter. Sorry Mark Ruckerburg!
My work:
Connotation Press- http://bit.ly/twhite-fiction
Pure Slush, Slut and Notausgang Issues- http://bit.ly/twhite-pureslush
Grit Fiction- http://bit.ly/twhiteveronica
Blog: http://collegelackey.com

askmonkey

Post by askmonkey » January 7th, 2010, 6:39 pm

for me it's those darn personal-info-stealing facebook games.

shadow

Post by shadow » January 25th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Twitter all the way fo me!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » January 25th, 2010, 7:43 pm

FACEBOOK!! FACEBOOK!! That darned FACEBOOK!!! I have both, but since many of my friends don't do Twitter...yet *laughs*. Not only that, I think it's easy to find people on facebook and easier to communicate. It sucks me right in and won't let go. But I have two FB pages...one for me and one for my author - that's probably part of the problem. Keeping up with other writers/publishers has become a key part of my day. And, I could point out that updates from these folks are beneficial via both facebook and twitter - but I'm a facebook kind of gal.

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

Ryan

Post by Ryan » January 26th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Facebook guy for now. I need to get on the Tweet thing once I get a decent phone.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Nick

Post by Nick » January 27th, 2010, 4:47 pm

I use Facebook more, mostly because there really isn't much to tweet about (as I have often described myself, and I think I even used a similar description on my twitter, I'm a bored man with a social life the size of a gnat in a house the size of a small flat with two severely retarded cats and one possibly insane dog). But really even Facebook I don't use too too often. It just kind of sits open and occasionally I do shiz on it, and like with Twitter, when I do shiz I do shiz in droves. I'll update my status or take quizzes like ten times back-to-back, or I'll tweet like eight times in a minute. I also have a tendency to forget my Twitter exists, which really tells you just how much I use it. I am using Twitter a bit more now that I've got it set to my mobile, but I'm still not using it often, mostly because most of my teachers are very strict on the "no cell phones" thing and then I don't do much of anything outside of school, and when I do it's mostly dates, and those are my business, not the whole twitsphere's.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » January 27th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Twitter, probably. Though forums are my time sucker. Be it writing ones or the parenting one I run. So much time will pass before you even realize it!

J Koyanagi

Post by J Koyanagi » January 27th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Twitter. I have a Facebook account, but I don't spend much time there.