MG historical novel, query revised

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
askmonkey

Re: MG historical novel, query revised

Post by askmonkey » December 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Wow! What a powerful sounding story!! I'm not an agent, but I'd definitely be interested in reading it. I think your query letter is probably perfectly fine as is, but I thought I'd add some more suggestions for revision so you can figure out how to pare it down if needed. I didn't read everyone else's comments/your previous versions in depth because an agent wouldn't have either so forgive me if I comment on something you already addressed.
MHubbs wrote:
Ephraim Wright has kept a secret for seventy years. Half of the secret gives him regret, the other half gives satisfaction. <--I think these two sentences are not quite as powerful as they could be. The phrase "gives him" is not very powerful. Try something like: For the past 70 years, Ephraim Wright has kept a secret. Half of the secret causes him satisfaction, but the other half deep regret. When a young writer requests an interview for the Federal Government’s Slave Narrative Project during the Great Depression, Ep feels it is time to reveal what really happened at Wattensaw Bayou in 1863.

i find the transition between paragraphs 1 and 2 confusing. It's not quite clear to me that you are now going into the events that he wants to reveal. I had to go back and re-read the previous paragraph to see the "past 70 years" part and reconcile that with him being 13 years old. I think this might have to do with the use of present tense for past events. Is your novel in present tense or past? Maybe if you said something like "At the beginning of the Civil War, Ep was thirteen years old, the only slave..." Ep is thirteen at the beginning of the Civil War and the only slave in a rural Arkansas Unionist family. Raised with the family since he was two years old, he is never once required to call Jonathan Wright, his benevolent owner, "master." His speech, manners and outlook on life are more akin to his white "siblings" (not sure you need quotes since you have said he was raised by them) than the other slaves in the community who chide him for being a “pet nigga” and “talkin’ like white folk.” He is stranded between two worlds; (<--semicolon vs colon) that of free whites, and of enslaved blacks.<--not sure you need this last line, as it is implied by the previous two.

Confederate conscript officers take the family's oldest son at gun point, and Ep is beaten unconscious by the soldiers during the ensuing scuffle. <---it is exciting that this happens, but if the second sentence is what changes everything, I might delete the first line and just start at the second line to continue the buildup that your synopsis is creating. But Ep’s life is irreversibly changed when Charlie Spears and his bushwhacker gang ransack the farm, steal the livestock and gun down Jonathan Wright. Managing the farm falls on Ep's young shoulders and his white "masters" (you have already told us that the masters are his family. just say family.)come to rely on him for strength and guidance as he plants the crops and covertly aids his older "brother" (quotes not needed), now a deserter from the Rebel Army.

New responsibilities and his burning hatred for Charlie Spears transform him from a carefree adolescent to a determined and vengeful young man. The law forbids a slave to touch a firearm, because a “Negro with a gun is a nervous thing to white folks.” (just a question--should negro be lowercase?) Ep can't raise his hand to any white man good or evil. (<----not sure you need this line either) But where his family is concerned, Ep is never one to care about what the law says.

WHEN FREEDOM COME (51,000 words) is an upper middle grade historical novel inspired by actual events. Much of the African American dialog is based on true accounts by ex-slaves in The Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves. just say "...is an upper MG novel inspired by actual events and true accounts by ex-slaves". adding the title feels like a bibliography and feels almost like you only read one source, which of course i'm sure you didn't The novel is complete at 51,000 words. (don't need, add to first sentence of paragraph)

I am a historian and archaeologist and have had several non-fiction articles published in: (don't need colon) Army History Magazine, Naval History Magazine, The Army Space Journal, Military Historian and Collector Magazine, and On The Trail Magazine. (<---add this sentence to previous paragraph) I am a member of the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. your qualifications speak for themselves, so i don't think you need to add your scbwi membership. After reading your query the first thing I want to know is---are you African-American? If so include this information since it adds further credibility, if not, never mind.

Thank you for your time and consideration

Mark Hubbs

I hope this helps and I'm sure I'll be reading this novel in print someday!

EllieAnn

Post by EllieAnn » September 15th, 2010, 9:05 am

Mark-
What a fantastic book! It sounds like you've done your research and really gotten into the head of your characters. The query is very well written!
The one sentence that made me stop was this:
"New responsibilities and his burning hatred for Charlie Spears transform him from a carefree adolescent to a determined and vengeful young man."
This is not the type of MG protagonist that people will easily fall for. If the book ends with him as a vengeful person, there is not much hope and joy in that-only sadness. Especially for the MG genre, the hero must be someone to root for, and how can you encourage children (or anyone) to root for killing and taking up of firearms for the cause of "vengeance." I obviously don't know all of your story, thus can't decide whether there is a hopeful and redemptive end. Could you possibly elude to a redemption or "lesson" of sorts, so that we know more of who Ep is at the end of the book, other than a determined and vengeful young man?

MHubbs

Post by MHubbs » September 15th, 2010, 4:34 pm

EllieAnn,

Thanks for your input.

There is indeed a very redemptive end to the book. Later query letters ended with something like "By seeking to send men to hell, Ephraim almost sends himself there as well." It is hard to boil down the last part of the novel that deals with regret and forgiveness in so few words.

Mark
"Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

EllieAnn

Post by EllieAnn » September 15th, 2010, 4:44 pm

That is the perfect sentence to allude to redemption!

It is SO hard to summarize key points and themes in your work. After all, isn't that what you just tried to spend 250 pages explaining? :-)

Best of luck getting published!

ps. I'd love to hear your feedback on my query (MG fantasy: Demas' First Task: The Prophecy of Rob) or my first chapter excerpt. You seem like a really smart writer and editor.

thewhipslip

Post by thewhipslip » September 16th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Dear___________________

Ephraim Wright has kept a secret for seventy years. Half of the secret gives him regret, the other half gives satisfaction The first two sentences don't grab me because they don't provide enough specific information. Considering that your query is too long already, I would cut these. When a young writer requests an interview for the Federal Government’s Slave Narrative Project during the Great Depression, Ep feels it is time to reveal what really happened at Wattensaw Bayou in 1863 This sentence makes me want to read it.

However, I think your query should start here. Do we really need to know that the story is told in flashback? Or that Ep has a secret? I think your story sounds interesting enough withoutEp is thirteen at the beginning of the Civil War and the only slave in a rural Arkansas Unionist family. Raised with the family since he was two years old, he is never once required to call Jonathan Wright, his benevolent owner, "master." His speech, manners and outlook on life are more akin to his white "siblings" than the other slaves in the community who chide him for being a “pet nigga” and “talkin’ like white folk.” I don't like the last two quotations. They pulled me out of the query, actually. I understand you're going for authenticity, but a query is supposed to be a quick rundown of the plot - and this is too much detail, in my opinion He is stranded between two worlds; that of free whites, and of enslaved blacks. Last sentence doesn't tell us anything that we won't already know from the earlier sentences.

Confederate conscript officers take the family's oldest son at gun point, and Ep is beaten unconscious by the soldiers during the ensuing scuffle. But Ep’s life is irreversibly changed when Charlie Spears and his bushwhacker gang ransack the farm, steal the livestock and gun down Jonathan Wright. Managing the farm falls on Ep's young shoulders and his white "masters" come to rely on him for strength and guidance as he plants the crops and covertly aids his older "brother", now a deserter from the Rebel Army. This is all good conflict.

New responsibilities and his burning hatred for Charlie Spears transform him from a carefree adolescent to a determined and vengeful young man. The law forbids a slave to touch a firearm, because a “Negro with a gun is a nervous thing to white folks.” Again, the quotes are just distracting here. Ep can't raise his hand to any white man good or evil. But where his family is concerned, Ep is never one to care about what the law says. I like the last sentence

WHEN FREEDOM COME is a upper middle grade historical novel inspired by actual events. Much of the African American dialog is based on true accounts by ex-slaves in The Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves. The novel is complete at 51,000 words.

I am a historian and archaeologist and have had several non-fiction articles published in: Army History Magazine, Naval History Magazine, The Army Space Journal, Military Historian and Collector Magazine, and On The Trail Magazine. I am a member of the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. All good.

Thank you for your time and consideration

Mark Hubbs[/quote]
http://elenasolodow.blogspot.com/ - Submit your 250-500 word excerpt to be read out loud in a vlog post!

oldhousejunkie

Post by oldhousejunkie » September 16th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Great concept...but I'm bias since my current MS is set during the Civil War.

I agree with a lot of WhipSlip's comments. I know that some earlier posters said more detail, but. I think there is too much. You have to strike the right balance-- detail the right things.

You absolutely need to trim this query. 250 words is where you want to be...you might be able to eek out 350. Three paragraphs...one intoductory, second to hit the climax, and the third to close. You might get a fourth because you have publishing credits.

One other thing that jumped out at me what the part about the eldest son being taken, etc. I don't think that's necessary. You're easily giving Ep a reason to seek revenge by having the father murdered. If you feel that the farm being raided, son kidnapped, etc is important to leave in, then try to condense it all togther along with the father's murder. I struggled with the same thing: my protagonist's father was murdered and the farm destroyed, and her brother went missing in battle. I ended up dropping the mention of the brother in the query.

oldhousejunkie

Post by oldhousejunkie » September 16th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Sorry I ended abruptly. Bloody Blackberry was giving me fits!

Anyway I just wanted to say good luck to you, and I hope to hear more about your progress.

MHubbs

Post by MHubbs » September 16th, 2010, 11:07 pm

OldhouseJunkie,

I agree. It is too wordy and it has evolved a great deal since I first posted it here late last year. What I have found it that there are as many formulas for queries as there are agents and editors!

Here is a shorter version that I have settled on.

In the twilight days of slavery, Ephraim Wright suffers the depredations of war along with the white family who reared him. Raised with the family since he was two years old, he is never once required to call Jonathan Wright, his benevolent owner, "master." He is stranded between two worlds; that of free whites, and of enslaved blacks. His life is irreversibly changed when Confederate conscript officers take the family's oldest son at gun point and a bushwhacker gang ransacks the farm, steals the livestock and guns down Jonathan Wright. The law forbids a slave to touch a firearm, because a “negro with a gun is a nervous thing to white folks.” But where his family is concerned, Ep is never one to care about what the slave laws say. By seeking to send men to hell, will Ephraim send himself there as well?

WHEN FREEDOM COME (52,500 words) is a upper middle grade historical novel inspired by actual events. Much of the African American dialog is based on true accounts by ex-slaves in "The Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves." I am a historian and archaeologist and have had several non-fiction articles published in Army History Magazine, Naval History Magazine, The Army Space Journal, Military Historian and Collector Magazine, and On The Trail Magazine.

Thanks to everyone for thier excellent suggestions

Mark
"Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

Quill

Post by Quill » September 16th, 2010, 11:29 pm

MHubbs wrote:
In the twilight days of slavery, Ephraim Wright suffers the depredations of war along with the white family who reared him.
Since this seems to be a summary of what follows, a tagline rather than the actual start of your description, it might be best separated into its own paragraph at the top. (And to help us avoid feeling like we're backtracking when we get to the next part, before the depredations).
Raised with the family since he was two years old, he is never once required to call Jonathan Wright, his benevolent owner, "master." He is stranded between two worlds; that of free whites, and of enslaved blacks.
These sentences might be less expository-sounding if you combined them:

"Raised with the family since he was two years old, and never once required to call Jonathan Wright, his benevolent owner, "master," he has lived stranded between two worlds: free whites and enslaved blacks."

In any case, I believe a semi-colon is not appropriate after "worlds".
His life is irreversibly changed when Confederate conscript officers take the family's oldest son at gun point and a bushwhacker gang ransacks the farm, steals the livestock and guns down Jonathan Wright.
Good.

I keep seeing "altered" instead of "changed".

I would omit "steals the livestock" as being part and parcel with "ransacks" and not adding enough to the sentence to warrant the extra length.
The law forbids a slave to touch a firearm, because a “negro with a gun is a nervous thing to white folks.”
This reads like a footnote or an author aside, and stops the flow. Any way to work this info into Ep's reaction, like, "Ep knows the law forbids..."

But where his family is concerned, Ep is never one to care about what the slave laws say.
Kind of cerebral when I think we'd do well with some emotion. More visceral would be "But Ep's going to get his due" or some such.
By seeking to send men to hell, will Ephraim send himself there as well?
Good info, but kind of a downer to see it put in the form of a rhetorical question to end the query blurb.
WHEN FREEDOM COME (52,500 words) is a upper middle grade historical novel inspired by actual events. Much of the African American dialog is based on true accounts by ex-slaves in "The Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves." I am a historian and archaeologist and have had several non-fiction articles published in Army History Magazine, Naval History Magazine, The Army Space Journal, Military Historian and Collector Magazine, and On The Trail Magazine.
This is good. Not sure the "dialog" sentence helps, maybe omit it, but the "actual events" and the resume are excellent.

Good luck with the project. Have you been querying?

oldhousejunkie

Post by oldhousejunkie » September 18th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Excellent! Love the new-and-improved, much shorter version!

Good luck to you!

thewhipslip

Post by thewhipslip » September 20th, 2010, 6:11 pm

I like it. Nice job!
http://elenasolodow.blogspot.com/ - Submit your 250-500 word excerpt to be read out loud in a vlog post!