Print from PDF?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
TVZ

Print from PDF?

Post by TVZ » June 5th, 2019, 7:29 am

I have written and published several local history books, using KDP (Amazon) printing company. I use them because I can print in small quantities and continue to refine the books. The books are composed using MS Publisher; then saved as PDFs.
When I die I would like for a local history group to be able to publish the books in the regular (offset) way, in larger quantities, much more economically.
Question: If I leave a PDF file for each book (contents and cover), which someone can someday send to a publisher, can the publisher then use that to produce the books? Or should I leave them in some other form?

Nathan Bransford

Re: Print from PDF?

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 5th, 2019, 8:46 am

Yes - this often works in reverse, where authors who were previously published will sometimes pay their publisher for the files when their books go out of print, and then use those to self-publish.

TVZ

Post by TVZ » June 6th, 2019, 7:16 am

Thanks Nathan. My main question is, is a PDF file the best thing to leave for them to be able to print & publish? Or should I leave the Microsoft Publisher files that I used to design the books?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 20th, 2019, 8:14 am

TVZ wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 7:16 am
Thanks Nathan. My main question is, is a PDF file the best thing to leave for them to be able to print & publish? Or should I leave the Microsoft Publisher files that I used to design the books?
Probably both.

TVZ

Post by TVZ » June 20th, 2019, 9:11 am

Good point. Thnx.

meridianne

Post by meridianne » October 9th, 2019, 9:17 am

Whoah!
Nathan is still here! Hello