Looking for a romance crit partner

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
Melissa Murphy

Looking for a romance crit partner

Post by Melissa Murphy » June 9th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Sample of my wip, a light paranormal romance:

March 1855

The sound of pounding hoof beats eating up the ground behind him sent shivers of warning racing up his spine. He hunched forward over his stallion and dug in his heals, urging the horse to gallop faster. The powerful animal dropped down and with a burst of energy, shot forward. A shot rang out in the night and the rider ducked farther down over his mount, hugging its powerful neck, his fingers tightly clutching the horse’s course mane. The dark tree line, he could just make out ahead of him in the quickly fading light of dusk. If he could just reach the forest he had a chance. Here, out in the open, if they were decent shots, his enemies would have him sooner or later. He sent up a silent prayer his luck would hold a little longer.
It did not. The next shot found its mark.
The impact alone nearly knocked him from his horse. Instantly his left shoulder and arm became useless. It took but a second more for his adrenaline saturated brain to register pain. He clenched his teeth and gripped tighter still with his right hand to the animal’s thick black mane. Somehow he stayed on.
Just as he entered the Dark Forest, one last shot pierced the still night, echoing in the trees. For a split second he knew relief. They missed him that time. Then, with a shrill cry of shock and panic, his horse stumbled.
Last edited by Melissa Murphy on September 30th, 2010, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnimaDictio

Re: Looking for a romance crit partner

Post by AnimaDictio » June 10th, 2010, 2:23 am

I might be a good fit for you. Tell me a little about your writing experience and your goals.

I have never read a romance novel before. I bought my first one just the other day. However, I read widely, and recently began working on my first novel, which I thought was an adventure. Friends quickly told me that it's mostly a romance and that I'd do well to more fully develop the romantic elements. I guess it makes sense. I'm a romantic.

At any rate, I've written professionally for years, but never in fiction. My goal is to get my story to as many readers as possible. I want the story to be very high quality and am willing to take the time to make that happen.

Melissa Murphy

Post by Melissa Murphy » June 10th, 2010, 8:20 am

Hello AnimaDictio,

Thank you for your message.

A little about myself. I am married and have four boys, so am a busy woman, but I still make time each day to write and/or connect with other writers. I chat on twitter (melissamurphy2) each morning with agents, editors and other authors. It is very imformative and up lifting to connect with others who are trying to do what you are, sharing the ups and downs. Then I get down to business.

In the last year and a half, since I made the decision to start writing seriously, I have completed four manuscripts and started two others. The completed ones are light paranormal romance (fairies, magic and such, no vamps or werewolves) as is one of the works in progress. The sample you read is the very beginning of it. The other wip is a contemporary. Two of the completes will never see the light of day. They have major flaws that will require a complete rewrite if they are to be saved. Even I, a newbie, can see it. Two are good, I think. One is out with a couple of editors right now and one seems interested. I have my fingers crossed.

I have one crit. partner already and she is great, but only wants to trade chapters every couple of week or so. When in the mood, I can write a chapter in a day. So after some thought I decided I needed another. I tried a couple of online crit groups, that I am still working with, but they both only trade chapters once a month. It never hurts to get a new set of eyes on your work, especially one who is trying to do what you are. My current crit partner is just now writing her first book, but still very knowledgable. She sees things that I don't. Sometimes, I think you get so engrossed in your own work, in the story, you don't see the problems. She caught something yesterday when we traded chapters, something so stupid that I did that I had to laugh at myself. First, the hero was on a horse, and then he was in a carriage and I did not explain the change at all.

When I send a chapter back to anyone new, I always remind them that my suggestions are just that, suggestions, opinions, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Ultimately, it is your work. No one elses.

My goals? I want to learn, grow and become the best writer that I can be. I would love to be able to make a little money for what I love to do, too. lol Who wouldn't?

So there you have it, the story of me the writer, in as few a words as I can make it.

Let me know what you are thinking?

Thanks,
Melissa
P.S. I leave tomorrow for a nine day vacation to the beach. Hay! So if I don't hear back from you before then, I will try and reach you when I get back. I don't think I will be online much while gone, if at all. Look forward to talking more.

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » June 11th, 2010, 1:15 pm

I'm thinking that I like you. And, when I get started, I will write at a pace similar to what you describe. Trading chapters once a month seems slow to me. However, I must confess that, at the moment, I'm studying for the bar exam, which is administered July 28th and 29th. Until then, I will not be writing prolifically. I only expect to finish a few chapters between now and then. You may not want to wait for me.

If you're still interested, though, let's trade first chapters when you return. Ok?

RedBrick

Post by RedBrick » June 20th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Hello, Melissa -
I'd like to join your thread and offer comments.
I'm new to Forums and could use your guidance. I have two completed
romantic suspense novels and would eventually like to get feedback from
you and others in this forum.
What's a good way to start?
Jack

Melissa Murphy

Post by Melissa Murphy » June 22nd, 2010, 3:30 pm

RedBrick wrote:Hello, Melissa -
I'd like to join your thread and offer comments.
I'm new to Forums and could use your guidance. I have two completed
romantic suspense novels and would eventually like to get feedback from
you and others in this forum.
What's a good way to start?
Jack
Hi Jack!

Why don't we do this, if you like - post a bit of your work here like I did before I went on vacation. Or you could start your own thread if you don't want to narrow yourself to whoever might read mine. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions. Just let me know.

Melissa

Melissa Murphy

Post by Melissa Murphy » June 24th, 2010, 6:47 pm

AnimaDictio

Hi! I'm back. Did you get my message?

Melissa