I am a bit ticked at people with no imagination!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: I am a bit ticked at people with no imagination!

Post by Claudie » August 18th, 2011, 7:11 pm

oldhousejunkie wrote:This is your problem. I somehow don't see writers and scientists getting along too well. We're on opposite sides of the brain!
But.. but... what do you do with scientists that are writers? ;) I'd like it said that research takes a lot more of imagination and creativity than most think. And theoritcal physicists spend their days just trying to imagine how the world might make sense, without experiments, because we no longer have the technology to test what they theorise. It's super crazy.

I have to agree with Chantelle (and oldhousejunkie), though, that this being fiction, you don't need a physicist's approval seal. Your premise is great, and I don't think readers will roll their eyes at it. Build your world (do ample research) and knock yourself out.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
Hillsy
Posts: 303
Joined: December 9th, 2009, 4:33 am
Location: Gravesend, UK
Contact:

Re: I am a bit ticked at people with no imagination!

Post by Hillsy » August 19th, 2011, 8:44 am

Right - this won't help much but....

...Follow character. The Uncle doesn't have to understand - MC has to understand. You don't need to be right, you just need to 'prove' your character will believe. This is the crux of everything in fiction pretty much. For example: A character has to believe his wife is cheating on him to get the payoff that she's been going to a cancer clinic. If you think "There's no way he'd put the evidence together like that!" then - boom - authority destroyed.

Looking at what you said your only problem would be backstory. If your MC is like me, someone who only has initimte knowledge of 95% of complex physics, but knows 'of' the other 5% - then yeah, it's plausible she'd make assumptions and approximations based on the knowledge she posseses. By asking the heavy-science forums the question, what you've got is the textbook reaction of someone, perhaps like her uncle, who simply does not accept what has just happened, happened. This is a good thing: conflict. If she's then logically minded enough to apply the axiom "When you have eliminated the probable then whatever remain, not matter how implausible, must be the truth" you've got the launchpad for her to dismiss current Multi-dimensional theory as wrong, or grasp a supernatural explanation, or turn to religion, or any number of things.

So follow the character, use her history and personality to describe it, then apply the same to the Uncle.

Like I said - not really an answer....sorry...=0(

washingtonwriter1968
Posts: 112
Joined: July 13th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Location: Yakima,Washington
Contact:

Re: I am a bit ticked at people with no imagination!

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » August 19th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Claudie wrote:
oldhousejunkie wrote:This is your problem. I somehow don't see writers and scientists getting along too well. We're on opposite sides of the brain!
But.. but... what do you do with scientists that are writers? ;) I'd like it said that research takes a lot more of imagination and creativity than most think. And theoritcal physicists spend their days just trying to imagine how the world might make sense, without experiments, because we no longer have the technology to test what they theorise. It's super crazy.

I have to agree with Chantelle (and oldhousejunkie), though, that this being fiction, you don't need a physicist's approval seal. Your premise is great, and I don't think readers will roll their eyes at it. Build your world (do ample research) and knock yourself out.
I was a bit angry when I opened this thread. Truth be told I never even wanted the Physics stamp of approval.It was an assumption he made along with the fact that he assumed I wanted to have a character with blue skin and one eye, and a green sky. In fact this guy had made some wild assumptions that I never even dreamed of. This guy I am speaking of said that those " theoritcal physicists" aren't true scientist But actually are rationalist and not true scientists.

So in the end I have decided to just do it and expect that some will :roll: and who cares.

Hillsy wrote:Right - this won't help much but....

...Follow character. The Uncle doesn't have to understand - MC has to understand. You don't need to be right, you just need to 'prove' your character will believe. This is the crux of everything in fiction pretty much. For example: A character has to believe his wife is cheating on him to get the payoff that she's been going to a cancer clinic. If you think "There's no way he'd put the evidence together like that!" then - boom - authority destroyed.

Looking at what you said your only problem would be backstory. If your MC is like me, someone who only has initimte knowledge of 95% of complex physics, but knows 'of' the other 5% - then yeah, it's plausible she'd make assumptions and approximations based on the knowledge she posseses. By asking the heavy-science forums the question,what you've got is the textbook reaction of someone, perhaps like her uncle, who simply does not accept what has just happened, happened. This is a good thing: conflict. If she's then logically minded enough to apply the axiom "When you have eliminated the probable then whatever remain, not matter how implausible, must be the truth" you've got the launchpad for her to dismiss current Multi-dimensional theory as wrong, or grasp a supernatural explanation, or turn to religion, or any number of things.

So follow the character, use her history and personality to describe it, then apply the same to the Uncle.

Like I said - not really an answer....sorry...=0(

Actually You are wrong You did help more than you realize.
what you've got is the textbook reaction of someone, perhaps like her uncle, who simply does not accept what has just happened, happened. This is a good thing: conflict. If she's then logically minded enough to apply the axiom "When you have eliminated the probable then whatever remain, not matter how implausible, must be the truth" you've got the launchpad for her to dismiss current Multi-dimensional theory as wrong, or grasp a supernatural explanation, or turn to religion, or any number of things.
This was exactly what I decided do to with what I learned from the Physics board actually!
Still I wonder how anyone could have so little imagination shakes head :roll:
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

User avatar
polymath
Posts: 1821
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 11:22 am
Location: Babel
Contact:

Re: I am a bit ticked at people with no imagination!

Post by polymath » August 19th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Sounds less and less like no imagination and more like an attempt to impose an errant creative vision on someone else's creation. A jealous credit grab if I've ever seen one.
Spread the love of written word.

User avatar
Hillsy
Posts: 303
Joined: December 9th, 2009, 4:33 am
Location: Gravesend, UK
Contact:

Re: I am a bit ticked at people with no imagination!

Post by Hillsy » August 19th, 2011, 7:54 pm

WW....For a moment there I thought I was going to get laid into...lol

I'll be able to give you an appraisal on skewed physics in the next few weeks....I've got a partial on the go with a lot of seriously suspect physics to someone who has repped a novel laureat (is that the right term?) All I'll say is I tried desperately to convince myself my physics was watertight - in the end I realised I had a dozen charaters who all believed it, with reason, and I could stop preaching at them.....=0)

Hey, and good luck. What's the phrase? Look like a duck - silk above water, paddle furiously beneath!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest