OK to have someone else do the platform for you?

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Rachel Ventura

OK to have someone else do the platform for you?

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 2nd, 2011, 10:56 pm

A lot of writers dread this whole thing about self-promotion, for various reasons: no time, too shy, no technical savvy, overwhelming, don't know where/how to start, etc. All of which are valid reasons IMHO, but the reality is, the edge in publishing does go to the extroverts (darn) willing to do whatever's necessary to make the sale. I would doubt most people of a writer mentality are big on public positions, save for a select few -- Don DeLillo got started in advertising; John Grisham was an attorney and once a Mississippi state senator; even Kurt Vonnegut was (*gasp*) once a used car salesman.

But a lot of us, I would say (I know I'm one of them -- probably one of the more extreme cases) fall somewhere within the range of Salinger to Quasimodo. In my case, ol' Quaz is comparable to a love child of the publicity-addicted warlock Charlie Sheen and the exhibitionist extrovert Madonna. (Who may or may not exist in real life!)

So my question is, for those of us who can afford it -- or find some way to make ourselves afford it -- is it a good idea to hire someone(s) to do these things for you, i.e. a marketing "team" while the writer sits home alone with the bats in the belfry (in more ways than one) "just writing books," and the publicity is handled by someone else?

My team would have a freelance writer to do the blog (I could easily just buy a cheap domain, slap on a standard template, and put Blogger on it, but s/he would have to do the writing), a marketing expert/SEO person to figure out this whole Facebook junk -- your standard "Web 2.0" publicity crew. But I'd also want a professional actress (not a big name, obviously, but someone better trained in how to handle public performance) to do f2f appearances and if possible, take my picture (as me). Right now my avatar here is the closest you'll see to a lifelike image of me, save for my HS yearbook, which I absolutely intend to throw in the wood chipper at some point. Like one of those pictures that "come with the frame" when you buy it at the $0.99 store, I want to use as though the model was me. (Stock photos, in other words, or a head shot from the hypothetical actress.) If/when agents ask about your platform tactics (this is where I'd probably want a secretary to handle phone calls, even if it was just the babysitter), would they be put off if it's not the "authentic you" online? What if there's, say, some sort of private disclosure right up front that "this is not 100% me"?

I'm not Susan Boyle or a female Busey by any regard. But I'm not Megan Fox either. I mean, J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer are a little chubby -- but they're 40+, so that's OK. They're both actually kind of pretty. Kathryn Stockett, L.J. Smith, they're pretty too. So is it OK to just put someone else in your place, if (and wherever) you can, or even if so, is this a death knell for one's (*ahem* my) publishing career before it's even started? As much I am a devotee of Salinger's brand of social networking, would I be permanently "slushed" for being a "phony"? :?

Sommer Leigh

Re: OK to have someone else do the platform for you?

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 3rd, 2011, 9:22 am

I personally would be very turned off as a reader. Part of the whole online platform thing is because of the close connection readers make with an author, or at least, the seemingly close connection they make. I think when you put someone in the middle, you lose the thing most people go looking for. It's probably a waste of money beyond a basic website set-up. On a website you just have info on the author, the book(s), and maybe a news piece that updates infrequently when there's news - like releases and cover releases, tours and the like. I don't have numbers to back me up or anything, but I'm guessing having someone write your blog posts and tweets for you will be more of a turn off to potential readers than doing nothing at all.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 3rd, 2011, 10:56 pm

Thanks, Ms. Leigh. :| I guess it's a balance between how much is too much or too little. Although I wonder if the photo thing is necessary? I see on a lot of writers' websites there's at least a personal photograph. You're very pretty! And I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that Mr. Bransford, much like the weather in sunny California, is, well...

Thomas Pynchon can promote things with a paper bag on his head and said head buried in the sand. But he's Thomas Pynchon, not Joe Paperback. (Unless Joe goes by the initials J.D., in which case the rest of him is now buried too.)

I guess I'm not of the school of "if you want something done right, do it yourself" -- I'd rather someone more knowledgeable in these things to take care of it for me. *sigh* I didn't think (and was hoping the opposite was true) that writing fiction required so much -- gasp -- technical knowledge or marketing savvy! :?

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » October 5th, 2011, 12:27 pm

I agree with Sommer. I would be really weirded out.

Just question, if you wanted to do this, (And your publisher somehow agreed to it, which I doubt) What happens when 'you' go on book tour? You don't want to meet the fans? Your actress would be there signing books for you?

If I'm ever privileged enough to get published I want to meet the people who buy my book!

CV

Quill

Post by Quill » October 5th, 2011, 4:11 pm

I think it's a great idea. Instead of only a pen name, a whole pen person!

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 6th, 2011, 10:38 pm

CharleeVale wrote:Just question, if you wanted to do this, (And your publisher somehow agreed to it, which I doubt) What happens when 'you' go on book tour? You don't want to meet the fans? Your actress would be there signing books for you?

If I'm ever privileged enough to get published I want to meet the people who buy my book!

CV
Yup. I am THAT shy. I believe I mentioned that the setup would be something like this:

Wikipedia - Cyrano de Bergerac (play)
he believes that his ugliness denies him the "dream of being loved by even an ugly woman."
"U, G, L, Y, you're the creature gone awry. You're ugly, yeah, yeah, you're ugly..." :twisted:

Like Cyrano, I have virtually no trouble with the creative end of things. I believe I have a terrific personality and sense of humor. In writing, that is. It's the public matters that drive me to such despair. It's not that I wouldn't want to meet the fans; it's that I doubt I would even have any if I didn't project a good image. And I can't do public speaking or else I hyperventilate, vomit, burn up and break out in hives. Real sexy, huh? :|
Pet Shop Boys wrote:You've got the looks, I've got the brains. Let's make lots of money!
If I looked like Megan Fox or Claudia Schiffer I might have a better chance. Because of course, I'd be more confident that people would want to get to know "me." I'd even dread the agent or publisher to see what I look like. It'd be nice if all correspondence and promotion could be done via distant modes of communication (like the telephone or internet, or even the "snail mail"). That face-to-face thing, like I said, f2f with me would give Stephen King nightmares. I mean, Nancy Drew fans never asked to meet "Carolyn Keene," or Flowers in the Attic devotees line up for "V.C. Andrews," did they? One name, multiple people. But in a different way.
Quill wrote:I think it's a great idea. Instead of only a pen name, a whole pen person!
To paraphrase from the signature work of a profoundly handsome young "radio star," You give me an understudy, I'll give you my pen. ;)

Mira

Post by Mira » October 7th, 2011, 4:12 pm

I don't think I'd go so far as to hire an actress - that will inevitably come out, and people will feel manipulated.

But hiring a social media manager, or a publicist, is an outstanding idea. If you can afford it, there is so much work they could do for you.

Also, with money, you can do the types of things that are proven to create sales - like actual advertising on the radio, T.V., newspapers, etc. Expensive, but if I had the money, I'd definitely look into that type of thing.