Paragraph spacing error in Word

News, trends, and the future of publishing
palmerwriter

Paragraph spacing error in Word

Post by palmerwriter » February 5th, 2013, 10:27 pm

I'm trying to format a book for Createspace using Word 2007, and I keep having paragraph spacing issues. At the bottom of some of the pages is a gap of one sentence to an entire large paragraph. I've tried fixing it using widow/orphan etc. and even moving the stuff to the right place by hand, but every time I upload it to Createspace, it's still messed up somewhere in the document. I sent it to an interior layout person and he said I've got some weird code in there somewhere, but since he uses InDesign he is at a loss as to what's causing it. I used a template I downloaded from Createspace. Could that be the culprit? How can I fix this and get my book out there professional-looking?

longknife

Re: Paragraph spacing error in Word

Post by longknife » February 7th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Did you go through the Paragraph formatting in your Tools section?
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » February 8th, 2013, 2:34 pm

These are the kinds of things that kill the self-pubber...

Best thing to do is hire a pro so you can use your precious time for editing and writing. Services are getting cheaper and cheaper. We hire plumbers at $100 an hour to fix a leak so why not buck up $200-$300 to make sure your book looks good. Here's the company I used. Tom and Amanda will stick with you until it's done right. http://www.digitalbindery.com/

Good luck and make sure it's done-done and edited 100% before you start conversion.

Cheers

Ryan
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

RachelGomez

Post by RachelGomez » October 20th, 2022, 2:48 am

To increase or decrease the amount of vertical space between lines of text within a paragraph, the best method is to modify the style the paragraph uses.

Find the style you're using in the Styles gallery on the Home tab.

Right-click the style you want to change and select Modify.

Right-click the Caption style in the Styles gallery to modify the formatting of your captions.
Near the center of the dialog box you'll find the line spacing buttons that let you select single, 1.5x or double spaced. Choose the spacing you want to apply and click OK.

Modify the line spacing options in your style to adjust vertical spacing in Word.
If you'd like to apply more specific line spacing to the style, clickthe Format button at the bottom left corner of the Modify Style dialog box and select Paragraph. The Line spacing drop-down lets you select or set more specific line spacing.
Regards,
Rachel Gomez