Critique My Covers

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Steph.s

Critique My Covers

Post by Steph.s » October 28th, 2012, 10:58 am

Hi all! With a new book in my series coming out in December, cover design and possible re-design is on my mind this morning. Reviews are good and sales are stable, if not stellar. I think that sales could be better, maybe with a cover that appeals to a wider audience. My thoughts are that maybe they are not as appealing to my target audience, the Urban Fantasy/supernatural fiction reader as they could be. I thought about trying the couple embracing on the cover route, but I'm afraid that would be deceptive as it is not PNR by any stretch. I wondered if you kind folk could help a girl out.

Image Image

wilderness

Re: Critique My Covers

Post by wilderness » November 15th, 2012, 11:37 am

Hmm, to me they look like pulp noir or gritty comic book covers. I am not getting a real supernatural or fantasy vibe from the images-- though the titles do imply urban fantasy. With guns so prominent, it makes me think that they might appeal more to male readers than female. I like them and think they're cool, don't get me wrong, but those are the impressions I get when looking at them. They might be narrowing your audience a bit. Hope that helps.

Steph.s

Post by Steph.s » November 15th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Thanks for the input. That is my worry. I just need to figure out where to go from here. :-)

Shipple

Post by Shipple » November 19th, 2012, 8:20 am

Oh! Fantasy and supernatural?

I thought these were really cool covers but I did not get a fantasy or supernatural vibe at all. Sort of comic book/gritty/noir as well. Although really cool for that. Maybe a bit mystery as well.
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/