Critique partner for YA fantasy

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
Sanderling

Critique partner for YA fantasy

Post by Sanderling » July 4th, 2011, 5:18 pm

EDIT: I've received several responses and want to thank everyone for their interest! I think I've got as many partners as I'm interested in at the moment, but I'd still be open to another YA fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian/action with good writing and an irresistible premise... so you're welcome to give me a try if you think that's you. :)

I'm looking for someone with whom to hopefully form a lasting critique partnership, or a beta reader for my current manuscript if you're not interested in future work. Ideally I'd like to work with someone who shares my impatience - I'll critique your work quickly if you do the same for mine; within three weeks of receiving it, perhaps? I am likely most useful as a big-picture reader, looking at plot arc and character development, scene structure, flow and pacing, etc, rather than for nitpicky line editing, though I'll definitely comment on word choices or phrasing that I feel is awkward, or things like stilted dialogue or purple prose. I'd probably prefer to work with someone of a similar nature, though I'm open to all approaches.

I thought perhaps we could trade first chapters to start, and see whether we felt like a good match, style-wise. If so, great, and if not, no hard feelings.

Here's the plot summary of my current WIP:

On her sixteenth birthday, Ryanne's father gives her a necklace that had belonged to her grandmother. Only a few hours later he is killed in a sudden explosion that destroys their house. She is rescued by a group of people where she discovers that her grandmother's necklace is more than it seems, and so is she: like her rescuers, she is a mage, and the necklace her magestone through which she can do magic. At the same time she learns that magic and free-living mages are illegal and there is an underground conflict going on between the government and mage-kind, suppressed from the non-mage public's eye under the guise of public safety. Following the explosion, the government is on the hunt for her - but why? And as if that wasn't enough to worry about, it turns out she's also being sought by a rival group of mages, who aren't going to take no for an answer - especially not after what she accidentally does to their party.

If you're interested please send me an email! canadianowlet -AT- gmail.com
Last edited by Sanderling on September 23rd, 2011, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

ellisshuman

Re: Critique partner for YA fantasy

Post by ellisshuman » July 6th, 2011, 7:48 am

I had to do some research to learn what a "mage" is, so I guess I'm not suitable. Good luck!
Ellis Shuman
http://ellisshuman.blogspot.com

Sanderling

Post by Sanderling » July 7th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Ryanne doesn't know what a mage is to start with, either, ellisshuman, so you wouldn't be alone. But thanks! and best of luck to you, too.
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 9th, 2011, 1:33 am

I sent you an e-mail.

CV

roja

Post by roja » August 2nd, 2011, 9:49 am

I, too, just sent you an e-mail. :)

GingerWrite

Post by GingerWrite » September 6th, 2011, 12:17 am

Just sent you an email as well :)
"The more you read, the more you know. The more you know, the more you grow." - Dr. Suess
Worlds can grow and crumble beneath a writer's pen. We just need to find the right one.
http://startingonthewritepage.blogspot.com/ :)