Social Media Cream Corn fighting Championship!!1!

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Nigel Haberdash

Social Media Cream Corn fighting Championship!!1!

Post by Nigel Haberdash » May 19th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Okay, now that I know only the elites actually dared click on this link, tell me which social media you use, formats, what is good and what is the opposite of good.

For me, I blog (I'm a pretty big deal on blogger,) also just joined the Twitter (which sort of sucks (waste of time more than networking tool))

I like the connectivity of blogger, but you have to follow a lot of people and keep up with it. I don't really use my facebook for writing promotion.

Now it's your turn? What works for you and why?

HumorWriter0910

Re: Social Media Cream Corn fighting Championship!!1!

Post by HumorWriter0910 » May 22nd, 2011, 7:42 pm

I, too, use Blogger for my blog but find that the actual "follow" feature doesn't offer readers much of a benefit. At least with Twitter--which I also use--following someone makes a little more sense.

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » May 22nd, 2011, 7:55 pm

HumorWriter0910 wrote:I, too, use Blogger for my blog but find that the actual "follow" feature doesn't offer readers much of a benefit.
Can someone explain the benefit of the blog 'follow' feature? Is it just a social-proof numbers thing? Does it offer anything beyond what is offered on, say, Google reader?

oldhousejunkie

Post by oldhousejunkie » May 25th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I use Blogger for my writing blog. But I don't do much else. I've thought about launching a Facebook, but I'm going to hold off for now because I'm not sure what I will put on it besides linking Blogger posts. I don't do Twitter either... I could figure it out and maybe will one day do it, but it holds no interest to me right now.

And thanks--I now want creamed corn. Grrrr...

trixie

Post by trixie » May 26th, 2011, 4:33 pm

You had me at cream corn... no, not really.

I have FB for all things purely social/family/friends. If/when this writing gig takes off, I'll see about a more professional FB page.

I blog on Blogger. I follow people in a not-so-creepy-sounding way through my Google Reader and "follow" people on Blogger. From what I can tell, when you do Google Friend Follower, your picture can show up on their page but when you just follow a blog via Google Reader, you just get the latest blog. It seems easier to just follow via the Reader, but maybe there's something to be said for the networking factor of seeing someone's face who you already follow?

As for Twitter, I have no idea. The idea of a "tweet deck" is too much for my little head. I'm still figuring out the blog world. Someday I will hop on the Twitter bandwagon, but not yet. I have a hard enough time prying away from the interwebs as it is...

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 27th, 2011, 4:31 pm

I use Wordpress (.org - self hosted) for all my blogging needs. I have a personal facebook which I log into maybe once every two or three months. <-Not a facebook fan

I am growing to love Twitter, though it took me a while.

The little "follower" widget (if you use Wordpress)/gadget (if you use blogger) is actually called Google Friend Connect and comes native with Blogger since they are both owned by Google. The benefit of using Google Friend Connect is actually multi-layered:

1) For those who use blogger, clicking "Follow" will add the blog to the little feed reader on your dashboard. A long time ago in a galaxy far away when I still used Blogger, this was buggy and never worked right for me. I'd Follow a blog and it may or may not show up in my dashboard reader. That's why...

2) ...it is even better if you use Google Reader because everyone you "Follow" gets added to your Google Reader. Awesome! I don't often add blogs to my feed reader that don't have a Google Friend Connect Follow widget/gadget because I usually forget to go add them manually.

3) Yes, it is a numbers game, even if that sucks. A lot of readers will weigh new blogs by the number of followers they have because readers have precious little time online and if only 2 people follow a blog, maybe it's not that good? Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know, but that's what happens. Readers need help filtering through the oversaturation of blogs, and this is one way.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » May 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Thanks for the summary, Sommer.