another ludicrous story idea: cyberpunk parody

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
JohnDurvin

another ludicrous story idea: cyberpunk parody

Post by JohnDurvin » April 13th, 2011, 8:12 pm

This is just something I've been thinking about writing, and I'm not sure anybody would ever want to read it, but it sounds fun to write, anyhow--might end up a book-within-a-book that the characters make fun of.
Remember how ludicrous the 1990's were? Duke Nukem, Johnny Mnemonic, that sort of thing, full of ultra-violence, explosions, hyper-industrialized dystopias, mega-corporations, over-muscled lunatics in neon colors. Lieutenant Shredd Fightmaster of the Lazer City Copter-S.P.L.O.D.E. (Special Police Law-Offender Detainment Entity) Corps spends his days capturing rebels and surfing the Virch (a virtual reality internet loaded with narcotic viruses and orgasm-causing programs), but suffers an attack of conscious when he meets Katt, a sexy girl with a mysterious past that exposes the corruption and desolation of the society to him. When he confronts his commander, Police Chief Maximus Slaygood, he is kicked off the force and joins the rebellion, learning that the Mayor is about to upload a powerful virus that will melt all Virch users to his will; using his modified Copter-SPLODE (a robotic helicopter exoskeleton) he leads an attack on the Mayor's office, fighting robots, guys with mohawks and chainsaws, and so on. Katt turns out to be Chief Slaygood's daughter that he'd arranged a marriage with Laser Wolf, the grotesque CEO of the Carnifex Corporation that manufactures the SPLODErs. And...so on.
Fun, right?!??!?!?!?!?!
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

wordranger

Re: another ludicrous story idea: cyberpunk parody

Post by wordranger » April 13th, 2011, 9:53 pm

You just need some space monkeys. Yeah! That's it! Monkeys would make it sell for sure!
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » April 14th, 2011, 2:46 pm

What's not to like, JohnDurvin? What happens next? Write it quick!

And Wordranger is right. Space Monkeys would make it perfect. Space Monkeys would make ANYTHING perfect. My next project is MOBY DICK AND SPACE MONKEYS. You should see those little guys make with the harpoons!

wordranger

Post by wordranger » April 14th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Wait!

The over-muscled lunatics with neon colored chainsaws are trying to steal a robotic helicopter exoskeleton to use it as a time machine to travel back to kidnap Moby Dick, but the Space Monkeys get in on the action and foil their plans! NOW THERE's a BEST SELLER!
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » April 16th, 2011, 11:46 am

wordranger wrote:Wait!

The over-muscled lunatics with neon colored chainsaws are trying to steal a robotic helicopter exoskeleton to use it as a time machine to travel back to kidnap Moby Dick, but the Space Monkeys get in on the action and foil their plans! NOW THERE's a BEST SELLER!
So Ahab teams up with Dr. Who, they recruit some anthropomorphic cat-ninjas, and chase the MC to the moon in 1969, accidentally killing Neil Armstrong. The disruption in the timeline causes Nazi zeppelins to attack New York in the Seventies, and the MC has to team up with Shaft to prevent the assassination of Richard Nixon.
By zombies.
With jetpacks.
Incidentally, anybody read the webcomic Axe Cop (axecop.com)? It's written by a six-year-old and illustrated by his thirty-year-old brother, so it's full of this kind of thing. The hero rides a T-Rex with machine gun arms and cop sunglasses.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).