Querying two different projects?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
lachrymal

Querying two different projects?

Post by lachrymal » October 30th, 2010, 7:55 pm

I apologize if this issue has been previously addressed, but:

I queried Project #1 for 5 months. Ninety-nine queries. At this point, 8 agents still have full manuscripts (they've had them varying lengths of time, from 1-5 months), but I'm finished sending letters out. Throughout the time I was querying, I was writing and polishing Project #2. I recently sent out a few queries and got 2 full requests for this second project. One of the agents seems kind of excited about it. UPDATE: That agent now wants to schedule a phone call for next week. Help!

My question is: on the off chance that one of these agents makes an offer on one of these projects, how do I communicate with the agents who have the other? Do I offer to let the agents who have the not-yet-offered-on project read the other? Are those agents going to feel frustrated that I didn't query them with the other project? Have I committed a major faux pas, or does this kind of thing happen often?

Thanks!

Nathan Bransford

Re: Querying two different projects?

Post by Nathan Bransford » November 3rd, 2010, 6:28 pm

Just be completely transparent on where things stand. If you receive an offer on Project 2, just explain to all of the agents who have Project 1 that you have an offer of Project 2, and would they like to take a look? Give everyone enough time to take a look at everything, and then schedule times to talk to everyone who is interested.