New Member Intro

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Leeinbex

New Member Intro

Post by Leeinbex » October 16th, 2023, 3:01 pm

Hey all! I’m Lee Smith and I’m not real good at introductions. (Maybe it shows?) I’m from Columbus, Ohio and I’m old. (63.) I’d like to think that I haven’t been writing because I’ve been busy with all the other parts of my life, but I’m not sure if that’s true.

I was an elementary school teacher for 22 years, but couldn’t do it anymore. Then I made comic books about Ohio history that could be used in the classroom. Talk about a niche market! I used to have the market cornered if you googled “Land Ordinance of 1785 Comic.” Needless to say, that wasn’t the road to riches that I thought it would be.

I currently work in the distribution center industry and am hoping to retire in less than a decade.

Thought I’d try writing. I’m interested in writing middle grade books for inner city kids. One of the things that I noticed when I look at kids books (it happens more often than you’d think since my wife is still a teacher), is that there aren’t a whole bunch of books featuring minorities. I thought I might be able to write some stories that would appeal to my former students (more likely their kids). I’ve come up with a couple of ideas and am working on a novel that might be a series.

Just glad to be around other folks interested in writing. Hope I can be of some use.