Query: Tragicomedy character study

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
BradRob

Query: Tragicomedy character study

Post by BradRob » June 9th, 2023, 5:13 pm

Who gets love, do they deserve it, and what the hell does it actually mean if it's just an evolutionary adaptation to procreate anyway?
These are the questions Stephen, our timid, if somewhat angry protagonist finds himself asking, after being rejected by the beautiful, understated and intelligent girl he has fallen for. A girl, who upon seeing her delicate and radiant appearance, we are told will lead to real blood shed.
Then there was Jacob... Jacob is the biblical snake in this story. A dark triad programmer, who plans to destroy the societal conception of love and romance from the inside out, first and foremost of these projects being the uglifier. He understands what drives people to relationships, what underlying mechanisms draw people, or repels them from each other. And one of the tools he uses is an AI that can, by the light of biology, turn photos of people ugly. Wherein, he unloads them back onto their social media, that changes their perceptions of themselves just a little. This is just the start of many such projects that he believes reveals the fickleness of love and commitment.
Is love worth our time? Or is it just an evolutionary adaptation that us apes would be better throwing to the fire?
Love and desperation (10,000 words) is a dark and comedic look at what relationships consist of in the 21st century through the minds of men who have been alienated from them. It's both an exploration of human nature, and a funny, entertaining, fast-moving ticking time bomb.
My screenwriting has been shortlisted by the BBC out of 5000 submissions in the Writer's Room scheme, and most recently I have worked as an editorial assistant at Sky Studios, where I read screenplays and decided whether they'd be declined or taken further.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Bradley Roberts.