Looking for a YA Fantasy Critique Partner!

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
MCM

Looking for a YA Fantasy Critique Partner!

Post by MCM » September 12th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Hi Guys!

I have a YA fantasy manuscript that has seen several rounds of edits and is hopefully near completion :roll: . It's roughly 100,000 words long. I say roughly because I am currently editing the last three chapters, but looking to stay under that margin. I've worked with lots of critique partners in the past, both online and in person, but I would really like to work with someone who writes within the same genre.

A little bit about what to expect from me. I'm a brutal critique partner. Kind, but won't hold back to spare your feelings, and I am looking for someone who won't hold back either. A manuscript can't reach its full potential without the needed honesty of those who read it. So, if you'd like to exchange manuscripts, chapters, query letters, and connect with another YA fantasy writer trying to make it work, let me know.

Princesisto

Re: Looking for a YA Fantasy Critique Partner!

Post by Princesisto » September 23rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Yes, I am willing to exchange critiques with you. Of course, reading 100,000 words will take some time but it can be done.

In return, I would ask you to critique my short stories: the main character is popular with teens on wattpad so I guess they are YA. They are fantasy or science fiction or horror, sometimes a mix. Most of them take place after 2019 so they are speculative fiction. I would send the stories one at a time, as they are finished. Each one is 5K - 10K. I would send them until I reached 100K, unless you asked me to read more, which I would gladly do..

Most of the stories feature the New Little Princess as MC. She is a child pop star whose career starts in 2025. She is getting somewhat popular on wattpad through my stories, "Green Princess" and "'Shipped". She is a piano prodigy, instinctively funny, a campaigner for climate change action, democracy in Guatemala (her adopted home from 2022), and against school shootings, a bright, tough, precocious kid who could disable you by kicking both your kneecaps or jumping on your insoles or even shoot you with her concealed derringer that she keeps for protection, beautiful, with a heart of gold and knee-length hair to match. Her mother is Scottish, she grew up in Manchester, England to age 6 and thereafter in Guatemala City: so she is bilingual (fluent in Guatemalan Spanish) and speaks northern and Scots English, in a patois.

Right now I am working on an anthology project for Golden Fleece Publishing called "The Princess' Apocrypha": half of the stories are before the Princess' stardom, where she comes from (starting at age 2) and half are after stardom. They are stories that did not make it into the novel The New Little Princess, which will be submitted very soon.

Are you a published author? What is your published experience like? Have you done critiques before? Where?

If interested, please reply. If we agree, first I would receive your novel manuscript by e-mail and send you my first story "Moon Kid" (8900) words by e-mail.

dcthompson

Post by dcthompson » March 5th, 2020, 12:41 am

Are you still looking for a critique partner MSM? Let me know. I am a middle school English teacher, and love crushing souls. :twisted: ;)

LMDavis

Post by LMDavis » April 22nd, 2020, 9:46 am

If you're still looking for a critique partner, I'm game. I also have a manuscript that's seen several rounds of edits and rewrites. No one in my current critique groups writes in my genre (YA Urban Fantasy), so I'm on the lookout. DM me if you're interested. My manuscript is roughly 90,000 words. I'm still rewriting parts, so that number might change, but not significantly.

My elevator pitch: A Single Thread of Light is a 90,000-word Young Adult Urban Fantasy in the tradition of Brigid Kemmerer’s A Curse So Dark and Lonely and Peter Ness’s A Monster Calls, about a boy from the sea who convinces a human girl to help him fight a dark force by learning how to weave emotions, not realizing that doing so will release her own unstoppable monster.