So I want to self publish... kinda sorta, not really

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Tycoon

Re: So I want to self publish... kinda sorta, not really

Post by Tycoon » June 26th, 2010, 1:15 am

Quill wrote:
Tycoon wrote:My wife talked me into self pubbing this novel... and I don't mean just throwing something together.

I am fortunate enough that we both have good jobs so I hired a editor and a cover designer. Everything was done the way we wanted it. All my goals were reached by writing this for her as a Christmas gift. And to be honest, I don't plan on writing another novel so throwing this in a drawer and writing another wasn't an option.
Okay, that's your hook! This is going to be big! Agents will be calling you, you won't even need to write a query. Wow.
I'm not sure what to think of this comment... because I'm not sure what your trying to say.

I played the query game but Christian fiction has like 30 agents... I received a lot of help from people on this board while working on my query, but no-dice with the agents. I consider that providence. So it was shelve it or self pub it. I chose the latter. I am not complaining. I set out to write a novel for the wife, I accomplished that goal.

Between friends, family and co-workers I have presold 75 copies thus far, and thats with people asking for a copy because they loved the story. To me... that amazing. I guess I feel like you were missing the point of why I'm self pubbing; its not to say screw the system I'll go it alone. It was to put a 1 book in the wifes hands, which esculated into 74 more thus far. I am printing out 100 copies through lightning source, I am confident the other 25 will sell themselves.

I am under no delusions of granduer, I don't think this is a hook, I don't think any agents are going to call me, nor do I think this is gonna be big!

What I do know for sure is the wife received a beautiful gift from a husband that loves her like no other! And that is the point I was trying to make!

thanks,

Quill

Post by Quill » June 27th, 2010, 11:44 am

Tycoon,

I was making a small joke: author of private edition unwittingly backs into bestsellerdom.

Not saying it is/was part of any strategy on your part.

Good luck with your self-publishing. Yours is indeed a touching story.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » June 27th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Quill wrote:Tycoon,

I was making a small joke: author of private edition unwittingly backs into bestsellerdom.

Not saying it is/was part of any strategy on your part.

Good luck with your self-publishing. Yours is indeed a touching story.
Thanks Quill! I figured you were probably joking!