First request for a full MS... rejected

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
CafeCliche

First request for a full MS... rejected

Post by CafeCliche » March 11th, 2010, 3:21 pm

After seven rejections and one silence-means-no, I just got a request for a full! And I thought I was aiming WAY too high with this particular agent!

The chances that he'd actually ask to rep me are astronomical, but I couldn't care less - I'm absolutely psyched. And I can't seem to stop using exclamation points. YES!!!!!!

Thank you guys for all the great advice you've posted on this forum. You're all awesome!
Last edited by CafeCliche on March 25th, 2010, 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

charlotte49ers

Re: First request for a full MS! YES!

Post by charlotte49ers » March 11th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Yay!! That is so great. Congrats!

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » March 11th, 2010, 3:53 pm

See, and just two days ago you were talking about how low your expectations had sunk.

Congrats! Best of luck that you hear even better news after the full gets read!

(Great, now I've caught the exclamation point virus)

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » March 11th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Awesome!! Awesome!! Awesome!!!

I'm telling ya', we've got some pretty talented people here on the forums. Yes-sir-ree ;-)

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

bcomet

Post by bcomet » March 11th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Congratulations!!!!

We would love to see the query that got this, if you care to share it!!!

Best of luck and wishes for a great response for the Full!

JilltheImpossible

Post by JilltheImpossible » March 11th, 2010, 7:03 pm

WOW THAT IS AMAZING! A THOUSAND CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!
keep us updated;D

EvelynEhrlich

Post by EvelynEhrlich » March 11th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Congrats!! That's wonderful wonderful news!!

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » March 12th, 2010, 1:08 am

Fantastic! Congratulations!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » March 12th, 2010, 2:06 am

Grats and Good luck!

CafeCliche

Post by CafeCliche » March 12th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Thank you, everyone! And JustineDell, I hope you're including yourself in that statement - I'm sure you'll be getting many more full requests where the last two came from.
bcomet wrote:Congratulations!!!!

We would love to see the query that got this, if you care to share it!!!

Best of luck and wishes for a great response for the Full!
Sure, if you like! It's far from perfect, but that just goes to show you how subjective these things are.

Dear [Agent],

[Personalized bit], and I'm writing in the hopes that you might be interested in taking a look at my first novel, a 75,000-word urban fantasy written for the young adult market. The title is Grandmaster Draw, and I would describe it as a retelling of Alice in Wonderland set in the world of today's adolescents. It combines psychological realism with strong elements of fantasy, and might appeal to readers of authors such as Neil Gaiman.

Liam doesn’t want to believe he’s crazy - but when he starts seeing doors that no one else can, he’s resigned to it. The only thing he can do is hide it: he knows how to fade into the background, and he’s accepted his role as the listening ear for his loving, high-powered family. He’s confident that he’s prepared for anything… until the day he opens the door.

There, Liam meets Mary, a woman with a pretty face and rows of sharp teeth. Mary agrees to help Liam find his way home on one condition: that he return to her with a chessboard. He agrees without thinking. He doesn’t expect her to prove that she’s more real than he thought.

With his unwitting help, Mary challenges her rival to a game of chess. She casts Liam as the king to her queen, and to protect himself, he must play the game with her. It doesn’t take long for the boundary between the game and his well-ordered family life to break down.

Control is everything behind the doors. But in chess, the only thing the king controls is when the game ends.

While I have done a great deal of writing – and minored in Creative Writing at Brandeis University – this is my first completed longer work. I am ready to send a partial or full manuscript in your preferred format if you are interested in seeing more.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
[my name and contact info]

bcomet

Post by bcomet » March 13th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your letter

I think it helps all of us to see what winning query letters look like!

I would want to read more!!

aspiring_x

Post by aspiring_x » March 13th, 2010, 10:46 pm

congratulations!
crossing fingers for you (i would like to read a book like that... sounds interesting! :)

CafeCliche

Post by CafeCliche » March 25th, 2010, 2:59 pm

And here it is... the rejection from the Big Time agent. He called my writing "natural, atmospheric, and evocative," and called me "very talented" twice, but in the end, it didn't come together for him. He invited me to send future work.

This is my first manuscript rejection, so it's pretty tough. But I couldn't have asked for a nicer e-mail.

Matthew MacNish

Re: First request for a full MS... rejected

Post by Matthew MacNish » March 25th, 2010, 3:51 pm

That's encouraging. Don't let the rejection get you down, I'm sure the critique wasn't just lip service, why waste their time?

EDIT: I forgot to add: Don't EVER give up. I have to say your query sounds AWESOME. Your premise sounds AWESOME, it reminds me a lot of Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE and I bet your novel is great. It probably just didn't fit for this agent. I really don't think he would have taken the time to compliment your writing so specifically if he didn't really mean it.

Don't forget to visit my blog below if you want to laugh a little about the painfully tedious query process.

aspiring_x

Re: First request for a full MS... rejected

Post by aspiring_x » March 25th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Matthew Rush wrote:That's encouraging. Don't let the rejection get you down, I'm sure the critique wasn't just lip service, why waste their time?

EDIT: I forgot to add: Don't EVER give up. I have to say your query sounds AWESOME. Your premise sounds AWESOME, it reminds me a lot of Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE and I bet your novel is great. It probably just didn't fit for this agent. I really don't think he would have taken the time to compliment your writing so specifically if he didn't really mean it.
ditto! (and I just finished reading neverwhere, and that is one serious compliment!)