About iPad

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Leila

About iPad

Post by Leila » March 22nd, 2010, 3:06 pm

Hi everyone

I'm curious to know how many people are thinking of purchasing the (very) soon to be released iPad come April, or May, or....

I know (from reading comments here and there on this blog) that some people will wait for next editions, enhancements etc, but given the recent discussions about ebook sales, market capture, device v's actual book reading preferences etc, I just thought it would be interesting to see what impact the iPad will have on participants in these forums.

Me - I'm keen to purchase an iPad, I'm just not sure of the timing of said purchase because they won't be released anytime soon in my part of the world (UAE). I'm currently investigating whether or not I can buy one from another country, or if they are hard wired (technical specification or configurations wise) to suit each country. I don't actually know if I'm using the right terminology here, but it sounds ok so I plonked it in.

Anyway, back on point, I want to put my hand up for one. How about you?

Nathan Bransford

Re: About iPad

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 22nd, 2010, 8:09 pm

I've been saving for it ever since they first announced it and asked everyone who would have gotten me something for Christmas to get me gift cards towards an iPad instead.

So yes. I'm ready!

Leila

Post by Leila » March 23rd, 2010, 12:30 am

I may have to live vicariously through anyone who can throw me some crumbs from their enjoyment whilst I wait for mine. Sigh..

Nathan, can I assume that you will purchase yours on April 3? (This statement is not tinged with jealousy, much)

The functionality and features look superb, and for me, being able to download books in a few minutes, v's my current 1.5hour drive to access a decent bookshop, will be quite an improvement!

Rik

Post by Rik » March 23rd, 2010, 9:35 am

I've been iffy about wanting an iPad - my mobile (cell) phone remains resolutely steam-powered.

Then I saw this ... it looks like I'm going to have to cut down on non-essentials, like food, and start saving my pennies.
To Posterity - the latest chapbook of poems from Rik Roots ($free)

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » March 23rd, 2010, 10:11 am

Whatfor is zis iPad? Is it for ze car? I have nice Chevy. Is it for ze car? Yes?
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » March 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am

I'm not getting one just because I'm not really sure how I'd use it!

I don't want a backlit screen for an e-reader, so it's out for that, and then I guess I don't really understand what else it does. :/

mojo25

Post by mojo25 » March 23rd, 2010, 2:42 pm

I'm trying to de-gadgetize my life. I don't think I need it for anything...and it's expensive too...

Leila

Post by Leila » March 23rd, 2010, 2:46 pm

Rik wrote:I've been iffy about wanting an iPad - my mobile (cell) phone remains resolutely steam-powered.

Then I saw this ... it looks like I'm going to have to cut down on non-essentials, like food, and start saving my pennies.

It just looks too inviting doesn't it!

Leila

Post by Leila » March 23rd, 2010, 2:58 pm

Ink wrote:Whatfor is zis iPad? Is it for ze car? I have nice Chevy. Is it for ze car? Yes?
Lol (x about 2 minutes).

You are totally on the money, but now you are in danger and the ramifications may be severe. Who told you that it is really a secret camera, designed to create the next Orwellian movement in 2020 and this is the first step in preparing the way? Yes, put it in your car, let it collect lots of data about you, share it with your family, more data collection, then one day, it will simply disappear, to where? Nobody knows, but we'll find out...soon..

Oh ok. I'm not so dramatic late at night (in my part of the world anyway). It's really just a super special air freshener that is designed to look like you have the latest, most super cool gadget in your car. Then people will want to be just like you. So I guess you will rush out and buy one now? (Lol).