Comparing your work in a query... to a TV show?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
FK7

Comparing your work in a query... to a TV show?

Post by FK7 » March 5th, 2010, 3:44 am

Janet Reid often blogged (as well as Kristin Nelson, and I believe Mr. Bransford has as well) about the importance of being extra, extra careful when comparing your novel to someone else's work in your query. Apparently, many writers will mention something like "my book shares many similarities with [one of the book published by queried agent]" to suck up, and upon reading the partial or full, said queried agent will go all batty because it was all a big, fat lie.

In the end, it all boils down to whether or not you guys think a comparison with a TV show will be well received or considered unworthy of the literary world.
Last edited by FK7 on March 6th, 2010, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Re: Comparing your work in a query... to a TV show?

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » March 5th, 2010, 6:46 am

Well, I think it's okay to compare your book to a show, though at the same time it's not necessarily needed. If you worry too much just skip it.

And there is a subgenre called Science Fantasy, being a blend of sci-fi and fantasy. Sound like that might be what you have here. It's just to give that agent an idea anyhow, and if they take you on they can market it that way or focus on one or the other. I wouldn't worry too much.

Best,
Ink
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

FK7

Post by FK7 » March 5th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Ink wrote: And there is a subgenre called Science Fantasy, being a blend of sci-fi and fantasy. Sound like that might be what you have here.
Cha-ching. Didn't know that.

Thank you so much!

PaulWoodlin

Post by PaulWoodlin » March 6th, 2010, 3:01 am

While your themes may match BSG, if your novel doesn't have space ships and space battles, I'd be wary of comparing it to a TV show that does. Maybe the agent or editor was looking for a novel with space ships and will be annoyed that you don't provide them. This is not to say you can't compare it to a TV show at all, since two people are far more likely to have seen the same show than have read the same book.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » March 10th, 2010, 2:23 pm

I went to a writers' event last year at which the suggestion was made that in a query, as well as in preparation for face-to-face events, writers try to come up with something to describe their WIP along the lines of "It's _(classic reference)_ meets _(modern pop-culture reference)_." In this instance, I don't see how using a TV show would be any better or worse than another book or a piece of music, as long as it's a fair comparison.

Joel Q

Post by Joel Q » March 22nd, 2010, 1:48 pm

Don't say it's like Married with Children without say why it's like it. (or whatever show)
Because the agent may not have the same view or take on the show and how it relates to your story.

Be very clear as to why you are referring to that particular show.
Is it the characters, the premise, one particular story line, the writing...

JQ