The New Website

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Jen P

Re: The New Website

Post by Jen P » December 7th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Also love the new site but agree with the first comment here. When I read the contact page, I was at first confused whether you wanted submissions there via the fill-in boxes and 'submit' or whether to still follow the "email me at" instruction, which is also listed on the page. I took the latter to mean that for submissions, 'you should type my email address into an email and follow the instructions on 'how to format' etc.' The Contact Me page, as I understood it, is for other non-submission subjects.

J.Jessamyn

Post by J.Jessamyn » December 7th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Can I ask a stupid question? What's a favicon?
~J. Jessamyn~

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 7th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Jen P wrote:Also love the new site but agree with the first comment here. When I read the contact page, I was at first confused whether you wanted submissions there via the fill-in boxes and 'submit' or whether to still follow the "email me at" instruction, which is also listed on the page. I took the latter to mean that for submissions, 'you should type my email address into an email and follow the instructions on 'how to format' etc.' The Contact Me page, as I understood it, is for other non-submission subjects.
They both go to the same place, actually.

Matera_the_Mad

Post by Matera_the_Mad » December 7th, 2009, 8:30 pm

J.Jessamyn wrote:Can I ask a stupid question? What's a favicon?
It's an icon from a website that your web browser can display on its bookmark menu for that particular website.

Blooming nuisance, I prefer my menus undecorated. That's why I keep forgetting to stick an icon up on my site. Procrastination has many faces.
A drum is empty always, and when the skin is rightly taut it gives right noise, right sound. Attention is like that.
Jiddu Krishnamurti

Kalthandrix

Post by Kalthandrix » December 7th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Nice new digs!

Anyway, so there I am, minding my own business (clearly) and writing, when I decide to check my e-mail and what do I find?The question is rhetorical because you know what I found...a new post from Nathan and the mention of forums. And once I got into the forums, what do you think I found (again rhetorical question)? I find a thread that is titled "All things Procrastination" and I am immediately drawn in and forced to not only register, but to post this time (and word count) consuming post in which I regale you all with rhetorical l questions.

Hehehe - I crack myself up!
I Don’t use sublIminal mEssages

abc

Post by abc » December 7th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Orange rules! I lived in Austin for a decade (Longhorns) but I was never won over by the burnt orange. This orange, however, is good. It's like Happy Halloween every day! Boo.

MosesSiregar

Post by MosesSiregar » December 10th, 2009, 12:44 pm

I really like a lot of the message board's features, but here's one that's a little odd IMO: the "URL" button. When you click on it, it just gives you url tags, so that you can easily do this:

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/

But to have a text link, you have to hover over the 'URL' button and look at how to do the code, and then type it out yourself so that it ends up looking like this:

Nathan Bransford's Blog

A lot of people won't have the savvy to figure out how to create those text links, and even for those who do, it takes some effort to figure it out and then do it. I wonder if you could get the 'URL' button to work differently so that it gives a pop-up interface with a slot for the actual url as well as the link text you want to use for it?
Passion for the Writing Life Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

Find my work at: Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | GoodReads

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 10th, 2009, 12:52 pm

MosesSiregar wrote:I really like a lot of the message board's features, but here's one that's a little odd IMO: the "URL" button. When you click on it, it just gives you url tags, so that you can easily do this:

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/

But to have a text link, you have to hover over the 'URL' button and look at how to do the code, and then type it out yourself so that it ends up looking like this:

Nathan Bransford's Blog

A lot of people won't have the savvy to figure out how to create those text links, and even for those who do, it takes some effort to figure it out and then do it. I wonder if you could get the 'URL' button to work differently so that it gives a pop-up interface with a slot for the actual url as well as the link text you want to use for it?
I also found this a little challenging at first, and as far as I know it's a quirk of phpBB forums that I'm unable to change.

Everyone, for text links what you have to do is click the URL button then after the first URL in brackets hit = and then your link so that it's within the brackets.

lovelylj

Post by lovelylj » December 12th, 2009, 5:07 pm

I like it here. It's a wonderful change. I'm not used to finding places on the internet where people write in complete sentences and use proper grammer. ::sigh:: It's nice.

And there's people here who write, just like me, or people here who are looking for agents and publishers, just like me. And there's people who have no clue whatsoever just like...oh wait. That no clue whatsoever part, may just apply to only me. Ah well. I gotta start somewhere.
Lauren A. Johnson
http://www.laurenjohnson.me