Peeta Vs. Gale

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
abc

Peeta Vs. Gale

Post by abc » March 1st, 2010, 1:47 pm

Hey Hunger Games fans: Anyone want to get into a Peeta/Gale debate? Because we are SO OVER Edward vs. Jacob.

I'm Team Peeta!

If Katniss doesn't end end up with Peeta, I'm sure I'll be depressed for a year.

EvelynEhrlich

Re: Peeta Vs. Gale

Post by EvelynEhrlich » March 1st, 2010, 4:55 pm

abc - this is hilarious, because I was just thinking about this a couple days ago.

I'm on Team Gale! Not that I don't feel bad for Peeta... but I have my own hunches about what will happen in Mockingjay.

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » March 1st, 2010, 6:03 pm

I'm Team Neither, actually, lol. The romantic elements aren't my favorite part of the series. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Team Gale, because I tend to have issues with the "meant to be" guy in stories. Heh. I like Peeta, but I don't like the whole "I've loved you for so long that everyone should think I deserve your love back" element. Katniss feels strongly about Gale, and I think she's allowed. So far, I feel like any emotion she has for Peeta is tinged with "Well, I *owe* it to him." Maybe that dynamic will change in Mockingjay.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

E McD

Post by E McD » March 1st, 2010, 6:15 pm

I'm Team Peeta, too, but not necessarily for Katniss - I just love him for what he does for her.

But MaybeGenius is right (as usual) - Katniss is drawn to Gale and so Gale it should be. Besides, if it were Gale in Peeta's place he would've done all that he could for Katniss, too. He's just lacked the opportunity to show it - aside from that hellacious whipping. That should count for SOMETHING.
-Emily McDaniel

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » March 1st, 2010, 6:35 pm

*blush* Sometimes I'm wrong! LOL.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

JilltheImpossible

Post by JilltheImpossible » March 1st, 2010, 7:17 pm

hahaha i love this topic!
Personally, i find it extremely difficult to choose between one or the other. It feels like I'm SUPPOSED to be team Gale because he's the heartbroken guy who lost his girl due of circumstances that neither of them could control. From the audience perspective, it doesn't feel like Gale and Katniss ever got a chance to be together because Katniss didn't realize her feelings for him until she was already in the games. But on the other hand you see so much more of Peeta that you can't help but fall in love with him and be on his side.
But if I was in Katniss's situation I would have to go with Peeta. As Haymitch said: "You could do alot worse!"

E McD

Post by E McD » March 2nd, 2010, 6:46 am

maybegenius wrote:*blush* Sometimes I'm wrong! LOL.
Face it, you're fab. xo
-Emily McDaniel

taylormillgirl

Post by taylormillgirl » March 2nd, 2010, 9:07 am

I'm team Peeta, but mostly by default. Let's face it, right now we don't know much about Gale. He's been absent for 90% of the story so far, but I know that will change with the next book.

The main difference I see between the two men in Katniss's life is Peeta puts Katniss first; she is his world. I think Gale puts the revolution first. We assume he loves Katniss, but she's not the sole focus of his life. As for Kat's feelings, she appears to love them both. My prediction: she'll choose Peeta and Gale will die in the revolution. Let's see if I'm right! (I'm usually not.)
Author of hot & humorous romances, debut novel coming in 2012 from Sourcebooks!
http://macybeckett.com/

abc

Post by abc » March 2nd, 2010, 9:22 am

I have sympathies for Gale, but I can't help loving Peeta. He's the perfect guy: sweet, humble, brave, witty, self-deprecating, snuggly, loyal, loving, charismatic, kind, artistic, and he makes pastries! I feel like the book is pushing a little more towards Peeta (we have spent so much time with him).

Rhonda

Post by Rhonda » March 2nd, 2010, 12:06 pm

Fun topic. I have to ask if any of you feels like you really know Gale. I don't. I found myself routing for him at times, but I'm not sure why. I know why I like Peeta. I would know why Katniss chose him if she did. Gale seems like a good guy and all, but there's not as much to go on. Not that I think the choice between them is the point of the books, or that Katniss will necessarily ever make a choice, but it's still fun to comtemplate.

Speaking of Peeta. Have any of you Hunger Games fans also read the Ranger's Apprentice books by John Flanagn by chance? I keep picturing Horace and Peeta as the same person. haha

victoria

Post by victoria » March 8th, 2010, 2:13 am

taylormillgirl wrote: The main difference I see between the two men in Katniss's life is Peeta puts Katniss first; she is his world. I think Gale puts the revolution first. We assume he loves Katniss, but she's not the sole focus of his life. As for Kat's feelings, she appears to love them both. My prediction: she'll choose Peeta and Gale will die in the revolution. Let's see if I'm right! (I'm usually not.)
Just because Peeta loves Katniss it doesn't mean that she should end up with him! IMHO i think that Katniss's feelings are simply in response to his feelings to her. She goes back to gale she kisses gale. It has to be him!! You can probably guess I'm team Gale ;)
http://victoriapantazis.blogspot.com
Sharing my research on how teens read and applying it to the process of writing.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » April 28th, 2010, 3:47 am

PEETA!!!

I just read both books in the last 3 days. To say that I can't wait for MOCKINGJAY to come out would be something of an understatement.

And I'm on Team Peeta. Partly for all the reasons abc mentioned above, (Peeta is SO perfect, it would be criminal to let him get away - men like that are RARE in this world!) and also partly because what Katniss is going through, and has gone through, is something that she can never share with Gale. Peeta understands completely, but Gale never really will. I can see that she loves Gale, and shares a bond with him after their years of working together to feed their families, but since then Gale has gone to work in the mines and Katniss has won the Hunger Games and I feel like they've grown apart. And also because Peeta started out as the underdog in the lover's game, and I've always been a sucker for the underdog.

I also recognize that this is partly by default, because we have hardly seen anything of Gale. A lot of the lover-potential of the relationship between Gale and Katniss has felt told and not shown (to me), because it's just been Katniss' inner musings and turmoil, and not much actually happening between them since they've been separated for most of the two books so far. Gale's public whipping was awful, but it wasn't really anything he did for Katniss; it happened because he was caught red-handed trying to sell poached game by a power-hungry Peacekeeper. And there were both Katniss and Peeta to save him, along with Haymitch. So I don't really think there's anything "owed" there.

Still, there's one more book to come. We'll have to have a discussion afterwards about whether we liked the way she ends the trilogy. (Am I the only one who is already getting depressed that there will only be three of these?)

On another note: I think these books from Peeta's perspective would be VERY interesting. Ditto for Haymitch. Maybe she'll pull a Stephenie Meyer and do that with one of them.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » May 26th, 2010, 10:02 am

I just can't wait for this book to come out. The End.

Robin

Post by Robin » May 27th, 2010, 10:25 am

Oooohhhh! You guys are making these books sound awesome! I am going to have to get them this weekend.

Thanks!
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 29th, 2010, 10:50 pm

I love these books. I really, really do :-)

I'm totally Team Peeta. Mostly because, well, who is Gale anyway? There are nondescript unnamed side characters who've had more face time than Gale. I feel a little bit like Gale was part of a past life and Peeta is part of her current life, and in the future life? I don't know, I sort of have a feeling that she won't be with either of them. I've kind of got this gut feeling that it'll end up a lot like the end of the Uglies series for Tally. It feels like Katniss wants to have a life where should be in love with a boy, but that's not the life she was dealt and she knows that, deep down.

I do think that the end of the second book, when Katniss finds out what happened to Peeta, gave her a wake up call she hadn't expected. I don't think Peeta is perfect, in fact, he's pretty flawed in the first book, but grew stronger in the second and will probably end up surpassing Gale in terms of strength and determination and power in the third.

Normally I'm not into the choosing sides on love triangles because I actually hate love triangles, but I find the one in Hunger Games so understated and natural than it works and I'm cool with it. It actually feels like a girl growing away from her childhood best friend into the arms of a new love interest by way of their shared experiences. And the two boys aren't clawing tooth and nail to get at her. They aren't really fighting for her at all, they just are who they are.

I really can't wait until Mockingjay comes out.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.