Daily Darling

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
aspiring_x

Re: Daily Darling

Post by aspiring_x » February 20th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Lunetta22 wrote:But self indulgent messes are so much fun... ;)
they sure are... but they shouldn't really be published... unless you're a rock star or have been on reality tv. :)

zoecourtmansmith

Post by zoecourtmansmith » February 25th, 2010, 9:50 am

"He bummed a cigarette and, squinting around the totem of smoke, pieced together the story for the cops."

*sigh* I loved that damned totem, too.
Building word count daily - check out my progress at http://www.zoecourtman.blogspot.com

aspiring_x

Post by aspiring_x » February 25th, 2010, 10:10 am

zoecourtmansmith wrote:"He bummed a cigarette and, squinting around the totem of smoke, pieced together the story for the cops."

*sigh* I loved that damned totem, too.
sometimes it helps me with the loss anxiety to paste it in a file I have of sentences to be used when appropriate. that way, it's not gone forever... but really it sort of is.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 25th, 2010, 11:33 am

"Weeks had passed. The cornfield lay bare except for a single stalk, yellowed and brittle in death. A thin layer of frost covered the earth around it. Windrunner stood before the stalk as he had stood before the first. His lean, hardened muscles held his sword confidently, the blade steady in his hand. The fog of his breath rose before his eyes, but his focus did not waver. In a flash of motion and steel, Windrunner swung the sword and chopped the stalk at chest level. His aim was perfect. Before it fell to the ground he sliced it into three even pieces.
He was ready."

This was cut along with 3,000 other words from the beginning of my ms. I put it off for about a month before finally taking it to the chop. The story is much cleaner and the new beginning works a lot better but I still love this image.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

zoecourtmansmith

Post by zoecourtmansmith » February 25th, 2010, 11:48 am

aspiring_x wrote: sometimes it helps me with the loss anxiety to paste it in a file I have of sentences to be used when appropriate. that way, it's not gone forever... but really it sort of is.
Great idea, aspiring! Think I'll do that :) (Oh, how we cling, we cling...)
Building word count daily - check out my progress at http://www.zoecourtman.blogspot.com

Jaime

Post by Jaime » February 26th, 2010, 6:09 am

aspiring_x wrote: sometimes it helps me with the loss anxiety to paste it in a file I have of sentences to be used when appropriate. that way, it's not gone forever... but really it sort of is.
Snap! I have a file like that. It turned out to be around 400 pages (longer than my MS). What I've found, too, is that the pieces I really loved, I can use in my sequel :)

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » February 26th, 2010, 8:16 am

Jaime wrote:
Snap! I have a file like that. It turned out to be around 400 pages (longer than my MS). What I've found, too, is that the pieces I really loved, I can use in my sequel :)
Crap! I never thought of this...tisk...tisk....Now I won't be able to let anything go!!

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"