Seeking long-term critters for character-centric YA (contemp/urban fantasy/fantasty preferred)

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
Lab024

Seeking long-term critters for character-centric YA (contemp/urban fantasy/fantasty preferred)

Post by Lab024 » October 24th, 2017, 2:32 am

Hello, potential critique partners

I am looking for a couple of critique partners, and would love to see if we're compatible.

A bit about me as a writer - I have been writing for about 6 years, while I am a slow learner my work is astronomically better than it was at the start. I write a few times a week, if not daily, and am aiming for traditional publication. I know that is a bit crazy (I am) and a long shot (a shame, since I have a weak arm), but I really love writing and make use of the delusional ups to write and the melancholy downs as novel fodder which is a balance that has seen me get hundreds of thousands of words down (89% quite awful). I think it would be fun to have some online critique partners (I have a two much respected in-the-flesh-critters...let's call them Fleshies) with similar or complementary writing goal (and neuroses).

As a reader, I have a deep and unwavering love for Maggie Steifvater's work (especially Shiver, and The Scorpio Races), as well as Rainbow Rowell's (Eleanor and Park, Fangirl), John Green's and David Levithan's (especially his collaborations with John Green and Nina LaCour). I enjoyed the Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and The Shadow and Bone trilogies. Words in Deep Blue, Where Things Come Back, Beautiful Mess, The Secret History, Jonathon Unleashed, How I Live Now, We Were Liars, Weetzie Bat, The Darkest Part of the Forest, The Call - I will stop there.

My current WIP is a contemporary YA with 2 POV characters. I am undertaking my third complete re-write and think I am getting pretty close to the heart of what I am trying to write, although it is still a disordered skeleton. The story follows a recovering self-harmer after she meets and develops a relationship with someone who's love has grown from a terrible place, and the loyalty and perseverance of her friends that help her get free of him. It is currently unfinished, so I would not be looking for cove-to-cover beta reading for a while, depending on what suits all parties (because we are parties, right?).

I think it's important that there is no pressure to gel, and to be free to walk away at any time with no bad feelings. I see the way it usually goes is to swap some pages, provide critique, to see how you vibe. I was thinking the first two chapters?

If any of that sounded in anyway relatable or appealing, I would love to hear from you.

jdclark

Re: Seeking long-term critters for character-centric YA (contemp/urban fantasy/fantasty preferred)

Post by jdclark » November 11th, 2017, 11:12 am

Hello. Fellow writer here (seeking traditional publication, as well), also looking for a critique partner. Like you, I write in the vein of character-centric pieces; however, I wouldn't claim they are YA, since the characters are post-high school—nearing their thirties, if not older. If you are still looking for a CP, I'd be open to exchange the first chapter (if not two) to see if we gel?