What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
lexcade

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by lexcade » February 15th, 2010, 7:12 am

working on The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. he's pretty spiffy.
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » February 15th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Nathan and Ink -

Barbara Kingsolver's novel, THE POISONWOOD BIBLE, is one of my favorite books. It took her ten years to write it, and I think the writing in that book is absolutely exquisite. I bought THE LACUNA in hardcover before I got a Kindle, and it's now on my pile of books to be read very soon.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » February 16th, 2010, 10:23 pm

Finishing Kingsolver's The Lacuna, started Erdrich's Shadow Tag, and just got Demick's Nothing to Envy.

Lunetta22

Post by Lunetta22 » February 16th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian. I adore these books.

LGS

Post by LGS » February 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

As I mentioned in another post, I'm reading The Ghosts of Belfast right now. So good. A crime thriller with a great premise: the protag is haunted by those he killed as a member of the IRA. To get them to leave him in peace he has to carry out acts of vengeance on their behalf.

But I just put down Wolf Hall, and wow. How this author got inside Thomas Cromwell's head so thoroughly I'll never know. It was brilliant, poetic, and so alive. Have to recommend it to anyone who likes historical novels - especially those about the Tudors.

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » February 19th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Finished the Kingsolver, finished the Erdrich, and the time has come. I'm goin' in: Robert Bolano's 2666.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » February 20th, 2010, 8:41 am

Lol, Lorelei... 2666 is on my shelf and staring at me this minute. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » February 20th, 2010, 8:59 am

The Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. They are sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to find the time to pick them up.

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » February 20th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Ink wrote:Lol, Lorelei... 2666 is on my shelf and staring at me this minute. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...
My current guilt book is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. One of my writer friends put the whammy on it by saying "you'll never finish that!" Which means I have to.

Yes I said yes I will Yes!

FK7

Post by FK7 » February 21st, 2010, 2:50 pm

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

PaulWoodlin

Post by PaulWoodlin » February 21st, 2010, 4:35 pm

"Ben Hur" by Lew Wallace. I was surprised that there is 49 pages of backstory (the three wise men going to visit the baby Jesus) before it got to the stuff in the movie.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » February 21st, 2010, 7:38 pm

Lorelei Armstrong wrote:
Ink wrote:Lol, Lorelei... 2666 is on my shelf and staring at me this minute. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...
My current guilt book is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. One of my writer friends put the whammy on it by saying "you'll never finish that!" Which means I have to.

Yes I said yes I will Yes!

Oh, you have to read Infinite Jest. It's kind of a pain in the ass to read, but worth it. I read it when I was eighteen or nineteen and it was a rather seminal moment for me as a writer. "You can do this in a novel? Why the hell didn't anyone tell me?" And Hal Incandenza is still one of my all-time favourite protagonists. I'm eagerly awaiting the posthumous release of DFWs last novel.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

cassandrabonmot

Post by cassandrabonmot » February 22nd, 2010, 10:15 am

L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy

Ishta

Post by Ishta » February 22nd, 2010, 2:52 pm

TWILIGHT, by Stephenie Meyer; A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES, by Diana Gabaldon; THE AUDACITY OF HOPE, by Barack Obama; THE ABSORBENT MIND, by Maria Montessori; and about a jillion picture books. :-)

I want to read THE POISONWOOD BIBLE - my mother sent it to me a while ago, and it's in my "to read" pile.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » February 24th, 2010, 5:15 pm

I finished reading all 18 graphic novel books in the MONSTER series, and the 7 graphic novels published so far in the PLUTO series, by Naoki Urasawa. I think I'm going to read one of the novels I purchased for my Kindle next ... which will be my very first time reading on a Kindle. :)
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.