A couple of questions re: YA & queries

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
jordynface

A couple of questions re: YA & queries

Post by jordynface » February 20th, 2010, 5:36 pm

I'd like to get some opinions on a couple things that have been pointed out to me regarding my query.

1. My book is YA. Do I need to mention the age of the MC in my query letter? Even if I can't fit it in naturally and ends up sounding clunky?

2. Does it matter if my MC has the same name as an MC from a (big) YA book? I hadn't thought of this but someone pointed it out to me and I reallly don't want to change her name. (The other YA book has the name as a surname whereas mine is the first name.)

maybegenius

Re: A couple of questions re: YA & queries

Post by maybegenius » February 20th, 2010, 7:44 pm

1.) I really don't know an agent's take on this, but I think it wouldn't matter as much as long as you give some indication somewhere that the MC is still a teenager. Either by mentioning school, or parents, or something obviously linked with teenagers.

2.) Is it a fairly common name, or is it unusual? If it's a common name, I don't see a big deal. If it's an unusual name that is closely linked to the book you're referring to, I'd change it.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

RebeccaKnight

Post by RebeccaKnight » February 22nd, 2010, 6:39 pm

Hi, Jordyn,

I've gotten some advice on this from the forums at www.querytracker.net, and they said to always include the age of the MC if it's a YA book :). Usually, you can find a place to put it in where it's not too awkward. It's like the wordcount--it doesn't come up naturally, but still needs to be in there. I hope that helps :P!

As for the name, I agree w/ maybegenius. If it's something like Katniss (from HUNGER GAMES) you may have a problem, but otherwise don't sweat it!

Good luck to you! :)
"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want the most for what you want now."

http://rebeccaknightbooks.blogspot.com
@twoheadknight on Twitter

jordynface

Post by jordynface » February 22nd, 2010, 7:45 pm

The name, in case anyone was wondering, is Grayson and someone thought that might be a problem with WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON coming out soon.

askmonkey

Post by askmonkey » February 22nd, 2010, 11:04 pm

1) include the age. "teenage" can mean 13 year old or it can mean 19 year old. BIG difference. or at the very least say "middle school" vs "high school"
2) I think it's a bit premature to worry about the name at this point. "grayson" isn't a big deal, I don't think. it is a moderately common name. anyway, I don't think an agent isn't going to pass on your amazing story because you named the main character something too popular (like Bella or Harry). they will tell you to change it and that's that.