Word Frequency Count Software

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
longknife

Word Frequency Count Software

Post by longknife » February 20th, 2015, 3:09 pm

I don't remember what it was or where I found it but in my old PC I had a free program that counted the frequency of words in a document.
My LibreOffice comes with a character and word count but not the frequency feature.
Any suggestions?
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

longknife

Re: Word Frequency Count Software

Post by longknife » April 16th, 2015, 3:35 pm

online books wrote:wc.exe counts word.
That, but that's not what I'm searching for.

The program would tell how often words showed up. Such as "the" x times
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

polymath

Post by polymath » April 17th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Wordprocessor apps label the process different names though is a feature of Word, WordPerfect, and similar publishing programs. Wordlist, list, index, conformance, are some of the names. They are usually adjacent to table of contents, reference, and similar tools apps. They can be set to list every word, individual word count, page number of occurrence, and limit words to skip, like articles and particles. Use of these apps in Word and WordPerfect and others are high learning curves and advanced word processing skills.

A workaround is to use search and replace all per word. After selection, a dialogue box pops up that says, for example, 2,340 instances of "the" were replaced. Set to whole word. For "I" set to whole word and constrain case -- capital case, for example. Save a draft beforehand in case of lost words. After the count of individual words is done, close the unsaved file so that no data is lost. Individual search and replace alls can be undone instance by instance per replace so that all individual replacements are reverted at once. Also, a revert command reverts a document back to its last saved version.

To find an external app that does what is wanted, search keywords: free word frequency software. 70 million or so results. Caution, many free softwares and their sites contain phishing, malware, and bait and switch scams.
Spread the love of written word.

longknife

Post by longknife » April 18th, 2015, 1:44 pm

As usual, thanks!

stefanheisel

Post by stefanheisel » December 9th, 2022, 3:29 am

Thanks!