I Have a Dream

News, trends, and the future of publishing
TonyB

I Have a Dream

Post by TonyB » May 25th, 2013, 8:58 pm

I worked for a publisher for about four years and really came to love publishing. I got to read some really cool books while they were manuscripts that later hit the New York Times Bestseller lists. I was even asked to comment on a few of them and hopefully had an impact on their success. I grew to love the process. That's when I picked up writing again (I hadn't written much since college). One problem. I really love to write short fiction, but there isn't much of a market for short fiction that catered to the type of short (or even flash) fiction I enjoy reading and writing. I had an idea then to start my own publishing company. I've decided to do just that.

I have my own website up now and am ready to receive manuscripts (www.triplereadfiction.com). I just don't know where to solicit manuscripts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have this dream and it wont go away, I just need a push in the right direction. I have a marketing strategy, I have a Facebook fan page, but no manuscripts.

TonyB

Re: I Have a Dream

Post by TonyB » June 26th, 2013, 11:22 pm

A lot of people taking a look but nobody has commented... got me to thinking. OK, the website is pretty yet... but it also got me to thinking about why I have the dream.

The movie, publishing, and music industries have a few things in common.
1. All are in the midst of a massive shake up to their traditional operating models that threaten to destroy them. Music is farther a long this path than the other two, but they aren't done yet.
2. They have all flooded the market with product and yet executives often blame emergent technologies for the reduction in the price of their product. In all three cases they don't seem to understand that the more product out there, the more price sensitive people are when comparing product. The law of supply and demand. The movie industry seems the least far along in this sense.
3. Talent to create product for all three industries abounds, but truly gifted talent is extremely rare. I'm sure you know somebody that was a brilliant actor in high school plays. Another one of your friends was good enough playing a musical instrument to be recorded or a fantastic singer. In all three industries the market is flooded however with mid-level to low end talent.
4. Just at this moment when there are extreme downward pressures on price and profit in the market, the world of digital media has come along and blown away the barriers to entry into the market.

That's why I want to start my own publishing company. The idea is to find really good talent that needs time to hone its skill. I just want to do it in a way that brings readers back for more. When I buy a book and love it, I don't go running back to the bookstore (or Amazon) to get another book by the same publisher, I go looking to see if the Author has anything else out. If they do, there's a good chance I'll buy it. Even here then publishers are price takers and have an incentive to dilute the market further (if you can't depend on one product you offer selling a second, the only way you have to make money is to make sure a high enough percentage of the books on the shelf are yours and hope you sell a few copies of a lot of different titles).

Enough observation... want a conclusion? I'm thinking it's time a publisher earns return business. Quality product, return customers, and an eye for good new talent. See you around. ... and please, if you know of how to entice a few authors to start in on it... I'm all ears.