Dan Wells on Story Structure

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Beethovenfan

Dan Wells on Story Structure

Post by Beethovenfan » December 1st, 2012, 3:52 am

I'm sorry to say I hadn't heard of Dan Wells before I found these videos. But now that I've found him, I'm a fan! He gave a lecture about 7 points on how to structure a story. He brings you through several well-known novels and movies and shows you how the 7 points work on virtually any story.
You outliners out there will probably really appreciate what he has to say. Pantsers like me, well, I'm thinking it would be an interesting experiment to give it a try and plan an entire story from beginning to end and then fill in the details. Could be fun - will definitely be interesting.
Anyway, if you're interested in the lecture (chopped into 5 segments), here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmiqQ9NpPE

Happy writing!
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Sommer Leigh

Re: Dan Wells on Story Structure

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 1st, 2012, 11:28 am

I have a love/hate relationship with Dan Wells. I LOVE his Partials series. It's really well done. I hated I am Not a Serial Killer (and I haven't read the others in the series.)

His Partials series is outstanding sci-fi though. I'd listen to whatever he had to say about writing.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » December 1st, 2012, 1:38 pm

It's kinda funny that you didn't like his I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER because it didn't do well here in the US (at least not yet), but over in Germany it's a huge success. For some reason his work struck a cultural chord with them.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 4th, 2012, 8:31 am

Beethovenfan wrote:It's kinda funny that you didn't like his I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER because it didn't do well here in the US (at least not yet), but over in Germany it's a huge success. For some reason his work struck a cultural chord with them.
The writing is fine and I liked about the first third of it. Then it prods my biggest pet peeve in writing, the genre fake-out. Sort of vaguely spoilery- it markets itself as one thing (sort of Dexter-like contemporary thriller) and then TWIST! It's something else entirely! After the big fake-out, which thankfully comes very early in the story, I couldn't get into it because I felt mocked and prodded by the writer. I like twists...when they make sense to the plot. The twists I hate feel sort of like god out of the genre machine. It's worse when the twist comes late in the book though. Like, you've been reading 250 pages of a contemporary romance and then BIG REVEAL! it's actually a paranormal sci-fi and all the characters are monsters and there's no hint in the marketing, title, book cover, or first 250 pages that what you are reading might not actually be contemporary romance. It feels cheap and I hate it.

Haha, there, rant over. It's just a personal thing and no way reflects the actual talent of the writer. I love Dan Wells' other series Partials. It's fantastic fun. He's a great writer.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.