I need a fake story idea...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Amanda Elizabeth

I need a fake story idea...

Post by Amanda Elizabeth » November 5th, 2012, 1:03 am

So in the book I'm writing for NaNoWriMo the main character gets cast in The Next Big Book Adaptation...but I can't think of a decent plot to freaking save my life. She's 16, there is going to be a male romantic interest(in the fake book/movie) and since all these YA books have romance in them, obviously that's a key component. It can be corny (Hello, Twilight?), but I just need something. If anyone has any little plot bunnies to even give me, I'll love you forever. I'm not near that point in writing yet, but I want to make sure I have it ready in case that time comes up sooner than later.

Beethovenfan

Re: I need a fake story idea...

Post by Beethovenfan » November 5th, 2012, 1:31 am

If it's fake anyway, then you could use a fairytale, folktale, or even the story form your favorite romcom. So long as you change the names of the player and the most of the major events, no one will care. Perhaps even use the Romeo and Juliet story.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » November 5th, 2012, 5:40 am

Could use it as an opportunity for character work/defining....what would be your character's favourite (or worst) film....then just mash it up with however she sees her surroundings...hopefully this'd tie surroundings and character closer together

e.g. Say she's a huge, say, Catherine Zeta Jones fan and her favourite film is Zorro, but she a shy, wallflower type....make her the female lead in "The Mask of Jonno!" which is Zorro, set in high school....

Shipple

Post by Shipple » November 6th, 2012, 7:16 pm

I'd say just do a zombie/vampire/mythic creature slash classic.
You know, Sprites in Hamlet. Huck Fin with Merpeople. Anne of Green Gables in Fairyland. Heck, just a new Peter Pan. Choose a favorite and then you've got your basic plot. Maybe you'll even interest someone in one of your favorite classics. Hmm, not sure when Peter Pan or Anne was written. Pretty sure they're out of copyright, but I'd check.
And then you can just get a copy of your favorite classic from Project Gutenberg for research/searching purposes.
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/