Larry Brooks

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Briana

Larry Brooks

Post by Briana » October 11th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I know several people have mentioned their love of Larry Brooks' Story Engineering, but have any of you used his story coaching services? http://storyfix.com/welcome-to

What about his webinars on the Writer's Digest page? http://www.writersdigestshop.com/story- ... re-webinar

Thoughts? :)

afamiliarletter

Re: Larry Brooks

Post by afamiliarletter » October 28th, 2012, 11:45 am

Afraid I'm not much help on your questions :( , but if I ever do I'll make sure you're the first to know. :)
As for Larry Brooks, have you read the book? I happen to love it and it's my go-to reference for my fiction, at least for now as I feel like a total newbie. He's pretty controversial though. Many scathing attacks on him by hardcore pantsers. I don't get what the vitriol is about -- his structure advice seems to me pretty darn sound.
Anybody else?

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 29th, 2012, 11:45 am

I heart Larry Brooks! I've only read his books though.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Briana

Post by Briana » October 29th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Thanks for your responses. I have read Story Engineering and loved it. I follow Larry's blog and saw that he was offering a discount on the webinar and his story coaching service, so I decided to take the plunge. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes. At the time, at least, it seemed like the best 'deal' in terms of webinars and the like, so I'm excited to see his feedback.

Have any of you benefited from webinars like the ones they offer at Writer's Digest? If so, who gave them? I was also interested in one given by Mary Kole with Kidlit.com, but decided to wait. I wonder, in terms of depth, how a webinar compares to workshop sessions?

When I checked the boards tonight it was to rephrase my question after a week or so without a response. I was thinking, "Maybe they assumed I was advertising for Larry Brooks, or else posting shady links." :lol: My little lesson in humility for the day!

afamiliarletter

Post by afamiliarletter » October 30th, 2012, 3:24 am

Wait so you think people think the worst of you too? So it isn't the evil hamster with the eye patch whispering those thoughts in my ear. :twisted:
No, seriously, I'm sure it was just the specificity of your question. As for other Writer's Digest courses, not taken those either. But again you'll be the first to know! If i remember this thread anyway. What if it's like five years from now and Nathan Bransford is in another universe from a black hole he accidentally created from one of his books and so the forums are shut down? Oh well.

Glad you like Larry Brooks. His book just saved my butt yesterday, the Core Competency # 5 I think, regarding scene construction and execution. Just the one Scene Checklist made my writing crazy different. And that was on top of all the other advice.

Now they'll think I'm the one shilling for Larry Brooks. :roll:

Brendon77

Post by Brendon77 » July 16th, 2013, 2:22 am

I visit this link, blog is so good that based on love stories, dreams and shows emotions.