Exclusive R&R etiquette

Questions for the resident (former) agent
SarashinaNikki

Exclusive R&R etiquette

Post by SarashinaNikki » September 12th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Hi Nathan!

I am on round two of an exclusive revise-and-resubmit with an awesome agent. I really enjoy working with him, he has wonderful insight into my manuscript and my style, and he was even enthusiastic about my previous manuscript, which he ultimately passed on, so I went into this process with a lot of optimism. He was very enthusiastic and complimentary about the first round of revisions, which were the most extensive. But I sent in the most recent revisions at the end of May, and I haven't heard anything from him since he confirmed receipt, not even in response to my status check a couple weeks ago. So that's about three and a half months without any communication.

I know this is typically a very standard wait time, but since it's an exclusive, I'm getting pretty nervous. I haven't seen too many writers post about their exclusive R&R experiences, so I'm not sure what's 'normal,' I guess. I'm more than willing to be patient, but I'm just not sure where I stand! How long should I wait if he doesn't respond?

EDIT: And, er, additionally, what should I DO if he doesn't respond? I obviously won't query other agents while the exclusive is still in effect...

Thank you so much!

Nathan Bransford

Re: Exclusive R&R etiquette

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 12th, 2012, 11:19 pm

SarashinaNikki wrote:Hi Nathan!

I am on round two of an exclusive revise-and-resubmit with an awesome agent. I really enjoy working with him, he has wonderful insight into my manuscript and my style, and he was even enthusiastic about my previous manuscript, which he ultimately passed on, so I went into this process with a lot of optimism. He was very enthusiastic and complimentary about the first round of revisions, which were the most extensive. But I sent in the most recent revisions at the end of May, and I haven't heard anything from him since he confirmed receipt, not even in response to my status check a couple weeks ago. So that's about three and a half months without any communication.

I know this is typically a very standard wait time, but since it's an exclusive, I'm getting pretty nervous. I haven't seen too many writers post about their exclusive R&R experiences, so I'm not sure what's 'normal,' I guess. I'm more than willing to be patient, but I'm just not sure where I stand! How long should I wait if he doesn't respond?

EDIT: And, er, additionally, what should I DO if he doesn't respond? I obviously won't query other agents while the exclusive is still in effect...

Thank you so much!
This is a tough one! I'd say just continue to check in, very politely, every now and then. If another few months go by I would check in and say that since you haven't heard you feel like you need to begin querying other agents, but give him some time to respond.

Just keep it polite and try to be as patient as possible and you'll be fine. But he shouldn't be keeping you hanging forever.

SarashinaNikki

Re: Exclusive R&R etiquette

Post by SarashinaNikki » September 13th, 2012, 9:02 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:This is a tough one! I'd say just continue to check in, very politely, every now and then. If another few months go by I would check in and say that since you haven't heard you feel like you need to begin querying other agents, but give him some time to respond.

Just keep it polite and try to be as patient as possible and you'll be fine. But he shouldn't be keeping you hanging forever.
Thanks so much, Nathan! I'll hang in there for now and keep sending check-ins every so often.