POLL: Where do you buy your books?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
wetair

Re: POLL: Where do you buy your books?

Post by wetair » February 6th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Libraries! They usually have whatever I want. :P I do adore libraries. But, yeah, online too. Fictionwise.com, Half.com, rarely do I use Amazon.

PaulWoodlin

Post by PaulWoodlin » February 20th, 2010, 2:14 am

When I was a dead broke poet, I used the library and used bookstores. When I was a kid, I belonged to five book of the month clubs (SF&F, history, military history, science, and classics).

Now, when I'm in the States, if I'm looking for a particular book I either order on line or go to the library, but I also like to browse for the occasional surprise in bookstores, especially when visiting my writing friends. When I'm in Nanjing, I go to the International Book Store, where books by dead classic authors are dirt cheap even if modern authors are pricier.

Rhonda

Post by Rhonda » February 20th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Since I don't see it mentioned (maybe because you're talking about books for yourselves, not your kids) I will put Scholastic book orders on the list. I buy books for my kids through that or through their school's book fairs all the time. Other than that, Amazon is my most likely source. If I must have something right away, B & N is my go to, but that doesn't happen often. Apparantly I live a very lazy life and don't like to walk into actual stores to buy books. Learn something new about yourself every day ; )

Ishta

Post by Ishta » February 22nd, 2010, 2:45 pm

Scholastic and brick and mortar, mostly. I go to the library pretty often, but read too slowly and end up having to renew too frequently to make it really worth it. I use Amazon occasionally, mostly for gifts for other people so that I can have it mailed directly to them since most of my friends and relations live hundreds of miles away. I avoid hardcover novels, with exceptions for series that I collect and have signed copies of, or leather-bound classics.

JilltheImpossible

Post by JilltheImpossible » March 1st, 2010, 7:24 pm

Well since I work at B & N I use my lovely little discount to buy all my books! The employees also have a "book loan" program where we can "check out" hardcover books (like at a library) and read them for free. I <3 my job. But for out of print books I usually try half price books or amazon, because they generally have what I'm looking for.

craig

Post by craig » March 1st, 2010, 9:17 pm

Chapters -- a large Canadian book store chain -- in their physical stores. I've always been a fan of the chain and their other book stores (Indigo & Coles); I worked at a Coles store for about a year too, so I'm fiercely loyal.

Sometimes, I'll head over to McNally Robinson, another large format bookstore that's a local chain (though I think there's one in New York, too). They have slightly different selection, so sometimes it's good to go there. However, McNally comes with a huge dollop of literary elitism. Though the staff is generally very nice, the way the store is laid out, and the selection of books they offer, comes with heavy bias towards what they deem worthy of reading. I can't stand it. But, like I said, if you're looking for certain books, they're an excellent place to check out. Unfortunately, cuz they're entirely locally owned and operated, the people of my city are fiercely loyal and supportive of the chain -- as if they can do no wrong. Thankfully, I've found I'm not the only one who can't take their attitude.

When the bookstores fail in selection, I tend to check out the online chapters site and can usually find what I'm looking for there. On rare occasions I'll make my way over to Amazon.

I prefer to own my books, so that rules out libraries. And I get grossed out at the feel of a used book, so that generally rules out used books. I am weird.

Terry Towery

Post by Terry Towery » March 2nd, 2010, 2:52 pm

Generally, either Borders or Barnes & Nobles. Sometimes, from an airport giftshop or bookstore. I've never purchased a book online, although I'm not opposed to it.