Tears

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
mandilynnWRITES

Re: Tears

Post by mandilynnWRITES » July 16th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Nothing wrong with a good tear jerker book, in fact those are ALWAYS my favorite ones.

trixie

Post by trixie » July 17th, 2012, 4:17 pm

THE BOOK THEIF and A MONSTER CALLS both made me cry, as did HARRY POTTER 6.

The last one, because I was just so shocked.

The first two I listed? I try and convince everyone to read them. These two books have changed my life in ways I haven't yet fully understood. So incredibly beautiful.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 17th, 2012, 4:50 pm

dios4vida wrote:Okay, The Book Thief and The Fault in Our Stars are both on my TBR list but y'all are really making me scared to read them!! I'm gonna cry?? Really? I hate to cry!
Claudie wrote:And Brenda, I was just wondering the other day if you'd read those! They're my favourites from Salvatore, although I don't think I've read the entire second trilogy? I have 4 here. Anyway, I think part of my love for those books is the very nifty map. Having your province turned into fantasy-land for one wild ride is awesome.
Ooooh, those are some of my all-time favorite books ever! They're the ones that really got me into the genre. So, if you have four, you have the three The Demon <fill-in-the-blank> and Mortalis, right? You're missing Ascendence, Transcendence, and Immortalis then? Those ones are really good. Not quite as good as the first three, but the ending of Immortalis is utterly beautiful. Like I said, I sobbed unashamedly for a good hour. And I can't imagine how awesome it would be for that to be MY province. So, where do you live in the world of Corona, then?? :D
I'm with Sommer there. You will cry and you will enjoy it. I swear!

And yep, I'm missing exactly those you stated. I've always meant to go back and pick them up, but you know how those things go with TBR piles. And for the record, I live in Ursal, the capital. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 17th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Claudie wrote:I've always meant to go back and pick them up, but you know how those things go with TBR piles.
Yup. So understand. But so you know, they are worth it. :)
Claudie wrote:And for the record, I live in Ursal, the capital. :)
I would totally try to change my address to Ursal, Corona if I lived there. :D
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

wordranger

Post by wordranger » July 17th, 2012, 8:49 pm

I don't crave to make anyone cry, but my betas cry all the time. (No! It's not from my writing!)

I cried all the way home from work today as I worked out my closing scene in my head. Happiness causes tears, too. :-)
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » July 17th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I think I aim more for breaking the reader's heart, than for getting them to cry.

what I mean by that - I want to the writing to be so poignant, it breaks their heart. If I could do that, that would be so....AWESOME.

I respect a good tearjerker, I can be haunted for years by a really good one. Although, like writersink, a bad one will make me mad. But like Brenda, as a reader I tend towand happy endings: riding off into the sunset. So those are the endings I tend to write. :D

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 17th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Mira wrote:I think I aim more for breaking the reader's heart, than for getting them to cry.

what I mean by that - I want to the writing to be so poignant, it breaks their heart. If I could do that, that would be so....AWESOME.
I think this is a better way to say what my goal, and my ending, is like.

CV

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » July 18th, 2012, 12:54 am

Having people tell me they laughed and cried while reading my books makes me happier than pretty much any other compliment. When they tell me I've made them do both within a few pages or at the same time, I'm ecstatic.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » July 18th, 2012, 9:27 am

You want to talk about tears...

go on youtube and type "Breaking Benjamin Give Me a Sign" and see if you can keep your eyes dry watching the video :)

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 18th, 2012, 11:17 am

cheekychook wrote:Having people tell me they laughed and cried while reading my books makes me happier than pretty much any other compliment. When they tell me I've made them do both within a few pages or at the same time, I'm ecstatic.
^^ My dream. Right there. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Mira

Post by Mira » July 18th, 2012, 7:19 pm

CharleeVale wrote:
Mira wrote:I think I aim more for breaking the reader's heart, than for getting them to cry.

I think this is a better way to say what my goal, and my ending, is like.

CV

:) Ah, a fellow heartbreaker!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » July 19th, 2012, 2:34 am

Being sad and crying is as much a part of the human experience as joy and laughing. I feel as though I delivered my story and message when someone says I laughed and cried when I read your book. Some of the essays I've written had people crying and that makes me feel good too, so maybe I'm a mean SOB because I like making people cry! :) Seriously though, I think Western culture has a Get Over It or Put It Behind You attitude with tragic episodes and death. We don't cry enough. Stories can help people heal in that regard.

Tears of joy and tears of sadness sometimes crossover. Those are some damn good tears.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » July 19th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I tend not to cry at sad parts. I tend to cry at happy parts or hopeful parts or the parts where the protagonist finds his or her strength. I also cry when I write such scenes of hope and faith in the face of insurmountable odds.

SPOILERS ****

Do you guys remember in that Pixar movie, The Incredibles, when the boy first discovered he could run across water? And his mom told him to Go! Go! And he was finally free to run with all his might for probably the first time in his life. I cried like a baby.

Similarly, in Tin Cup, when Kevin Costner just kept going for that shot again and again, long after the game had been lost. That made me cry too.

I've never cried at a sad movie or book. So I'm weird, I guess.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 19th, 2012, 2:09 pm

AnimaDictio wrote:I tend not to cry at sad parts. I tend to cry at happy parts or hopeful parts or the parts where the protagonist finds his or her strength. I also cry when I write such scenes of hope and faith in the face of insurmountable odds.
I do this also. When it's sad, I cry. When it's happy, I cry. At those eureka moments when the protagonist finds what they've needed inside of them all along, I sob.

At the end of Inkheart (the movie), Eleanor cries after the bad guys are defeated. She says "Oh, stop it, Eleanor. It's so silly to cry at happy endings." I laughed at this point because, yes, I was crying, too.