The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Cameron D James

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Cameron D James » July 2nd, 2012, 2:52 pm

Hey all,

I'm a bit of a lurker and thought it was time I officially joined.

My first love is writing science-fiction, but I've taken a bit of a detour lately. I sort of stumbled into the M/M erotic romance sub-genre and am giving it a solid try. I don't know if there are any other writers of this genre here, but that doesn't matter so much -- writing questions and discussions are often genre-less (unless it delves into the specifics of a genre).

I'm approaching writing this genre a bit differently, too, in that I'm attempting to create a platform on tumblr and twitter (and might set up facebook soon) -- so I have at least some sort of web presence. I figure this new genre is primarily based on ebook sales and word of mouth, so being present on the internet is probably a good thing (and so I look forward to exploring the social media board on this site).

Anyway, I'll pop in now and then and maybe we'll get to know each other!

jesslh21

Hi, Everyone!

Post by jesslh21 » July 6th, 2012, 11:06 am

I've been a lurker on Nathan's blog for years - and now I've finally decided to come out of the shadows and say hey! I can't wait to interact with and maybe even work with you guys on some of your projects! Take care!

LizV

Post by LizV » July 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Hi, folks. I just signed up today, after lurking intermittently for quite a while.

I've been a science fiction fan since I was a kid... so I've gone and written an espionage novel. And another one is in the works. I'm currently mired in the misery that is querying, with a few last revisions on the first novel for bonus hell. I'm looking forward to getting back to actual writing!

TonyShoey

Hello!

Post by TonyShoey » July 8th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Oooooh, this is always nerve wracking, like wandering into a part where you don't know anybody and having to shout "Listen to me while I talk about myself!"
(Clears throat)
hello! I'm Tony Schumacher, I stumbled across this site after seeing it mentioned on the Kindle Boards forum so I thought I'd join up and join in! I'm a writer, stand up comedian based in Liverpool England, and when I'm not writing or comeding (is that a word?) I can normally be found wandering the lanes where I live with a confused dog and a smile on my face.
If you see me, say "Hello" or at the very least beep your horn to tell me to get out if the way.
x

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » July 9th, 2012, 9:32 am

LizV wrote:Hi, folks. I just signed up today, after lurking intermittently for quite a while.

I've been a science fiction fan since I was a kid... so I've gone and written an espionage novel. And another one is in the works. I'm currently mired in the misery that is querying, with a few last revisions on the first novel for bonus hell. I'm looking forward to getting back to actual writing!
Hi Liz, welcome. You mean a sci-fi espionage novel?
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

LizV

Post by LizV » July 9th, 2012, 11:41 am

Thanks, Matt. No, I mean a straight-up current-day espionage novel, no SF in sight. (I'm as surprised as anyone.) I do have some SF-espionage in mind for down the road, though.

LurkingVirologist

Post by LurkingVirologist » July 10th, 2012, 12:26 am

'Allo.

As the 'nym suggests, I'm in the process of making a rather significant leap from one type of writing to another. Don't worry, I haven't quit my day job. In any case, I've been noodling around Nathan's website for awhile, and figured now's as good a time as any to jump in and start building up feedback karma before finally pulling the trigger on some of my own work.

On that note...In the off chance that any of you have questions about bugs or general bio, I'd be happy to take a shot at answering them, or at least point you in the direction of a reliable website.

Cheers.
"Books break the shackles of time, proof that humans can work magic." -Carl Sagan

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 17th, 2012, 5:34 pm

LurkingVirologist wrote:'Allo.

As the 'nym suggests, I'm in the process of making a rather significant leap from one type of writing to another. Don't worry, I haven't quit my day job. In any case, I've been noodling around Nathan's website for awhile, and figured now's as good a time as any to jump in and start building up feedback karma before finally pulling the trigger on some of my own work.

On that note...In the off chance that any of you have questions about bugs or general bio, I'd be happy to take a shot at answering them, or at least point you in the direction of a reliable website.

Cheers.
Hey, welcome! Also, YAY, a fellow scientist! I'm fresh (well, one year fresh) out of a Biochemistry program and I loved Virology. The rest of microbio was okay, but viruses are like my best friends. ;) I hope you enjoy the forums.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

floridaguy

Hello everyone

Post by floridaguy » July 17th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Hello everyone

I've been working on self-publishing my own book, and have a lot of questions, so I'm glad I found this board.

Looking forward to everyone's insights.

Thanks!

writersink

Post by writersink » July 19th, 2012, 5:40 am

Cameron D James wrote:Hey all,

I'm a bit of a lurker and thought it was time I officially joined.

My first love is writing science-fiction, but I've taken a bit of a detour lately. I sort of stumbled into the M/M erotic romance sub-genre and am giving it a solid try. I don't know if there are any other writers of this genre here, but that doesn't matter so much -- writing questions and discussions are often genre-less (unless it delves into the specifics of a genre).

I'm approaching writing this genre a bit differently, too, in that I'm attempting to create a platform on tumblr and twitter (and might set up facebook soon) -- so I have at least some sort of web presence. I figure this new genre is primarily based on ebook sales and word of mouth, so being present on the internet is probably a good thing (and so I look forward to exploring the social media board on this site).

Anyway, I'll pop in now and then and maybe we'll get to know each other!
Welcome!

Shipple

Post by Shipple » July 27th, 2012, 8:41 am

Hello, All! I'm Sarah.

I've always loved and used and referred to Nathan's blog, but I never really visited the forums.

Then in one of his last posts he was like, "And if you want to join the Forums, click here", and I had to ask myself, "Why haven't I ever done that?" And so I did.

I write MG and YA. I've been writing some fantasy and science fiction, although it's not hard core fantasy or science fiction because I like my reader to be able to relate my books to what they see in the real world (although I do love some very out of this world fantasy and science fiction myself).

I've been busy on the Queries forum since I joined, and, again, I wondered why I'd never done this before.
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 27th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Welcome Sarah! I've seen you around some of the threads, I'm glad you finally joined!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

gnf

Post by gnf » August 12th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Ditto, new here too. Although I drop in and read as guest frequently, this is the first time to post.

Mendicant writer currently in Singapore, onto my second novel, in the querying stage. Had a couple of partial requests, but I'm not happy with the query yet.

Like to look at other's work and help if I can.

Look forward to chatting.

Useless

Post by Useless » August 17th, 2012, 9:48 am

Hello All - new guy on the block. I try to write fantasy and thriller - and am told I'm not too bad.

Hope to get to know everyone in due time and look forward to getting involved asap!

Cheers

TiffanyDow

Post by TiffanyDow » August 19th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Hi everyone! New here. I've been a freelance writer (ghostwriting first and then publishing my own non fiction books via minisites) for 12 years but I just recently began my fiction journey, which is why I want to learn from people who have more knowledge than me in that arena.

I self published my first short story on Amazon recently - scared to death - but did it afraid (courage will come later). I am looking forward to learning more about writing fiction and the promotional aspect of it all. I do well in the non fiction arena for myself, but it's like fiction is this whole other world to me where I'm a lost little girl. :lol:

Anyway, nice to meet you :) I'm sitting here in Texas enjoying our cold front with lower 90 degree temps!
Tiff ;)