If writing was a person....

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
writersink

If writing was a person....

Post by writersink » July 4th, 2012, 5:18 am

What would you do to him/her? Would you shake hands, give her a hug and thank her for all the joyous adventure she has given you? Personally, I think writing and me are in a bad place. If I saw Writing right now I would probably strangle her and ask why she makes my life so difficult. And then run happily away, sneak onto boat and sail to Mexico where I would make a new life as a wine merchant. After which, of course, I would apologise most profoundly to her, and we would start all over again...

polymath

Re: If writing was a person....

Post by polymath » July 4th, 2012, 1:41 pm

If writing was a person . . . Writing metaphor time.

A chef who I'd follow to become a chef, perhaps surpassing the master. I am a chef, though no longer able to perform commercially. And like with reading and writing, I'm an omnivorous gormand.

The chefs I trained under were at times prima donnas, capricious ingenues, prone to flights of fury and brilliance and joy and abysmal disasters. One would lose composure at the end of a mealtime rush and hammer away at the stove with saute pans, throwing temper tantrums to relieve stress. Most couldn't stand constructive criticism. Some were truly consumate chefs. They could manage a crowd's appetites and make the art of cooking look as easy as breathing, all the while conscious of their obligations and humilities.

An occasional nudge, an occasional approving comment, an occasional party partner, those were the qualities I admired from my cooking mentors. However, I learned most from studying cookbooks and heuristic practice. One thousand and one ways to make a cherry pie. Happy Fourth of July!
Spread the love of written word.

Philabuster

Post by Philabuster » July 5th, 2012, 3:07 pm

If writing was a person I'd ask him why he never leaves me alone when I'm busy and why he never hangs out when I'm not.

Mira

Post by Mira » July 11th, 2012, 12:52 am

This is a cool question.

I think my muse is mysterious but kind. I see her as elusive, but she's eventutally available if I'm patient and trust.

I imagine her as quite tall, slender and beautiful, wearing a dress from....hmmm.....not sure what period. Where they had long silk dresses and parasols. She has sparkly earrings, and a ring on her finger. She is very elegant and gracious. She smiles and nods.

Funny, since my writing style is much more earthy - but I picture her this way.

wilderness

Post by wilderness » July 12th, 2012, 2:50 pm

I'd go to coffee with her and then we'd laugh about what a fricking bee-yatch she was. And then we'd do that passive aggressive thing where I'd be like "No, I'm just kidding...Actually, no I'm totally serious...kidding..." She would act the same about my prose. And we'd laugh some more. We're frenemies.

wilderness

Post by wilderness » July 12th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Philabuster wrote:If writing was a person I'd ask him why he never leaves me alone when I'm busy and why he never hangs out when I'm not.
Haha, nice!

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » July 19th, 2012, 2:38 pm

If writing were a person, I'd marry her, because she's straight from my soul and we're obviously meant to be together.

"At last!" the man exclaimed. "This one is bone from my bone, and flesh from my flesh! She will be called 'woman,' because she was taken from 'man.'" (Genesis 2:23 NLT)

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » July 19th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Writing would follow me around, bugging me about how funny it is that my new boss talks to his bum knee like it's a person ("come on, buddy, we gotta pick up this chair") or pointing out interesting synchronicities in world mythology. It would get old pretty fast. He'd usually be pretty good about letting me do what I needed to get done before he started in on me, with the one exception that he would never, ever let me go to sleep. However, since Writing would be a person instead of an abstract thought-process gestalt, I would punch him out and finally get to sleep at a decent hour.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Elsinora

Post by Elsinora » July 19th, 2012, 11:06 pm

If Writing were a person, he'd rag on me for being a lazy bum and tell me to stop being such a procrastinator, but he'd also toss me cool ideas to work with.

So...basically what my husband does. :shock:

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 20th, 2012, 12:01 pm

I have thought and thought about this question but never been able to come up with a real answer. I think the frenemies would totally apply to me - I hated Writing during my last WIP but I love Writing now that I'm in my current WIP. Writing drives me nuts sometimes but I couldn't live without it.

Now that I think about it, Writing would be like my cat (the young one who totally earned her name, Twerp). She's sweet and cuddly and an absolute joy to have around the house, you love when she comes up to purr and snuggle on your lap, but when she does it at 3am it's a little much. There are times you want to hang her from a meat hook in the closet and forget about her for a few hours (my Mum used to say that about me and my sister). But then she looks at you and does her cute kitty thing and your heart melts and you can't imagine how dull and boring the house would be without her.

So, what would I say to Writing? "I love you, but be good and leave me in peace until I'm ready to deal with you. Then we'll snuggle and have fun."
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

kupa

Post by kupa » August 29th, 2012, 9:35 am

Elsinora wrote:If Writing were a person, he'd rag on me for being a lazy bum and tell me to stop being such a procrastinator, but he'd also toss me cool ideas to work with.

So...basically what my husband does. :shock:
LOLED :lol: