Do you ever sleep on it?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Mira

Do you ever sleep on it?

Post by Mira » July 2nd, 2012, 7:32 pm

I've noticed something recently.

I'll be struggling with a tough line, or a tough transition, and then I'll go to sleep, or even take a nap, and I'll have some new ideas when I wake up! :)

Sometimes it takes a really nice direction. Good to know my unconscious is looking out for me.

Anyone else have that experience?

Cookie

Re: Do you ever sleep on it?

Post by Cookie » July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm

Yea, but I'll usually get them on the cusp of sleep. I'll be about to fall asleep, when all of the sudden, BRILLIANCE! I always have a paper and pen by my bed.

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » July 2nd, 2012, 10:26 pm

Paper!!!

The same thing happens to me. Then it's a mad dash to find out who wins - my brain in its ever present attempt to forget, the stairs, working with the dark, to find a way to pitch me down onto my face, or the noise that will undoubtedly wake my wife or daughter, causing me to tend to them and lose my train of thought.

If I am successful, I make it down to my office, wake up my computer and... wait, what were we talking about again?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 3rd, 2012, 12:12 am

Yes! Having it by the bed is a major sleep saver. I also have a waterproof notepad for the shower.

polymath

Post by polymath » July 3rd, 2012, 1:08 am

Like scrying a crystal ball, let the subconscious do what it does best, churn and burn while asleep. The sleep state, especially the dream state connects the conscious to the subconscious mind. Autosuggestion techniques, like crystal gazing, scrying, also known as hypnosis or self-hypnosis establish a trance like state which connects subconsciousness and consciousness. Real magic of the mundane realm.
Spread the love of written word.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 3rd, 2012, 1:20 am

Cookie wrote:Yes! Having it by the bed is a major sleep saver. I also have a waterproof notepad for the shower.
Even better, grease pencil. Write on the walls of the shower. Won't wash off till you want it to, and no paper.

CV

writersink

Post by writersink » July 3rd, 2012, 4:08 am

Cookie wrote:Yea, but I'll usually get them on the cusp of sleep. I'll be about to fall asleep, when all of the sudden, BRILLIANCE! I always have a paper and pen by my bed.
Ha ha so do I! It'll be really late and everyone else will be asleep, and I'll be fumbling around trying to write all of it down

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am

Sort of? I know when I am working on a very tough scene and I don't know where I want it to go, I'll sometimes stop staring at my screen and go lay down, then I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling and I don't know if it's becuase I'm very comfortable and relaxed or what, but I always seem to be able to think through the problem. Then I take a nape because thinking is hard work!!! :-)

To be fair, I also sometimes go for drives. Driving helps break out those thoughts too.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » July 3rd, 2012, 10:16 am

Oh god... Driving... There are so many scenes I imagined driving listening to one of the top 4 bands I like.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 3rd, 2012, 10:48 am

CharleeVale wrote:
Cookie wrote:Yes! Having it by the bed is a major sleep saver. I also have a waterproof notepad for the shower.
Even better, grease pencil. Write on the walls of the shower. Won't wash off till you want it to, and no paper.

CV
Hmm. Interesting. I like having the paper though, because A.) A lot of the stuff I write down I won't immediately use. Like, if it's for the sequel or a Shiny New Idea. B.) I'll have to wash the shower before I use some of it.
Although, it would look cool with all those scribbles all over the walls.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 3rd, 2012, 11:29 am

Actually, not really. My brain will cough up Shiny New Ideas when I'm sleeping every now and then (used to be a lot more often) but I tend to get more epiphany moments when I'm doing something brainless - like housework. Washing dishes works miracles for my problem solving. Showers are good, too, and I keep a grease pencil in there as well. Pretty much anything where I'm moving around but don't have to focus on my task, so my thoughts can wander.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » July 3rd, 2012, 11:54 am

Yeah--showers, driving, that kind of mindless thing helps me. Sometimes when I'm reading or watching other stuff something clicks, too. Sleeping doesn't usually unlock much per se, unless I was just so tired I needed a fresh perspective.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

ladymarella

Post by ladymarella » July 5th, 2012, 9:27 am

I seem to get ideas when I go to the movies, and my mind starts to wander, and I think how they could have done this or that better, or how that's annoying me, and how I'd love to see a new twist on that....
Currently composing a sprawling family saga set in 19th century England
The world may be divided into people that read, people that write, people that think, and fox-hunters.'- William Shenstone,

arvales12

Post by arvales12 » July 5th, 2012, 12:49 pm

It happened to me too. But not only during my sleep, when I am sitting in my porcelain throne, looking out on a bus window, just completely everything when I am away from my laptop. :x

But I manage to write it down by notes so that I can use up that idea eventually. And sometimes those notes reminds me of the entire thing I thought up when I am writing that note down!!

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 6th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Laying down, whether just waking up, about to fall asleep or just in the middle of the day because I'm so stuck, is my main way to unravel scenes. I do it on purpose now. Sometimes I take walks or talk them through with someone (Sidekick, mostly) but most of the time it's straight to bed or couch and I close my eyes. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla