Other Forms of Expression

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
proser

Other Forms of Expression

Post by proser » June 22nd, 2012, 8:54 am

If you couldn't express yourself through your writing, what would be your top pick for another way to do it (e.g., art, music, fashion)? Do you already have any alternate forms of expression that you turn to?

Mark.W.Carson

Re: Other Forms of Expression

Post by Mark.W.Carson » June 22nd, 2012, 9:16 am

I would make smiley face art with pistols and pie plates...

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » June 23rd, 2012, 1:26 am

Music. I'm a pianist. But if I had it to do over, I'd pick the cello. I love to listen to Yo-Yo Ma, and Beethoven is my hero. (Or at least one of them.) :)
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

AndrewGalasetti

Post by AndrewGalasetti » June 23rd, 2012, 1:11 pm

I would definitely say some sort of visual art. When I was younger, my creativity was first expressed through drawing and painting then I began writing later. But I'm still very interested in the visual arts, that's why I enjoy pursuing the independent route to publishing my novel. It allowed me to use my visual art skills to create a cover that I love.

-Andrew
I’m the author of the upcoming novel To Breathe Free. I welcome you to please visit my website here: http://www.tobreathefree.com.

Gypson

Post by Gypson » June 23rd, 2012, 7:03 pm

I'm a reasonably creative person and always manage to find a way =) I played the piano for many years, but have not been able to haul one up to my studio apartment, so that passion is on the fence. Otherwise, I love baking and the satisfaction I get from making something tasty with my hands. I also draw a lot of comics.

Mira

Post by Mira » June 24th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Great question.

I'd do graphic design. I love to layout things and add clip art to them.

Mega-fun. :)

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » June 25th, 2012, 5:17 am

Computer Games.

.....I do love to pick those industries that are easy to break into don't I?.....lol

writersink

Post by writersink » June 25th, 2012, 5:35 am

I would become a singer, write my own music, and make millions, although there are two slight problems with that: a) I hate writing poetry, and I think song lyrics would go the same way and b) I can't sing for toffee.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 25th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I have lots of creative outlets already, so if I couldn't write I'd probably put more time and effort into one of them. I draw (not very well, but I like it anyhow). I like designing and working on graphic arts. I wish I knew more about webpage design/building because I'd like to do more with that. I paint in watercolor and acrylic and I've dabbled in comic book art. I've always wanted to take a sculpting class and a glass blowing class. I still might some day, but right now I can't afford the supplies. I create other forms of crafty paper art.

I like art. I never trained in any of it though so I'm not particularly good at it, but I like it anyway! If I couldn't write I'd probably try to be classically trained in art. Another career that pays really well and has plenty of job openings, you know? :-)

And if I could go back in time I'd start becoming a runner sooner than I have. I like to run very much, but I really want to go fast, which I'm currently not able to do (YET). Secretly? I want to grow up to be The Flash.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

trixie

Post by trixie » June 25th, 2012, 2:30 pm

If I couldn't write, I'd be a dancer.

I still remember our dance studio director telling my mom and me that they don't usually take dancers into pointe if they were over 5'10 or 150 lbs (show me a 5'10 dancer UNDER 150 lbs). Seeing as I was already 6 feet tall in high school, I was devastated. I quit ballet, though I kept going with tap and jazz. But it was too late. It broke my heart.

Or, I'd be a kickboxing instructor. I like to hit and kick. :)

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 25th, 2012, 3:00 pm

trixie wrote:Or, I'd be a kickboxing instructor. I like to hit and kick. :)
I can see you as a kickboxing instructor. And I'd totally want to take your class. :)

Me? I have no skill at art. Like, at all. I can't even draw decent stick figures. I can take pretty decent pictures, though. I'll never call myself a photographer because I don't do film and filters and stuff, but I love to get out in nature and take photos. I'm not sure if it's really "artsy" or "creative" but I adore it.

Other than that? I'll go Trish's route (sort of) and say tai chi. It's another of my passions though I'm really bad at practicing every single day. :(
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » June 25th, 2012, 11:41 pm

I do a lot of different things. I'm currently working on a Master's of Theatre Performance, which is another form of expression. I sing. I dance (mostly wildly in my car), I draw. My family is super artistic so we always have craft projects kind of lying around the house.

This summer specifically, I'm making a T-shirt quilt out of memorabilia t-shirts from pretty much my entire life. Yay! :)

CV

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 27th, 2012, 9:57 pm

I'd be a painter, or an illustrator. Painting/ sketching is one of my hobbies. One of my dreams though is to write and illustrate a comic.

robertpiazza

Post by robertpiazza » July 7th, 2012, 6:35 am

I am a beautition, and I would make many beauty tips and write them.....I always listen music.