Sample pages for an angent

Questions for the resident (former) agent
paperxxflowers

Sample pages for an angent

Post by paperxxflowers » June 19th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Hello Mr. Bradsford. Maybe as a former agent you can give me some insight.

I have finished a supernatural romance, one I have read...and read..and read none stop to make it perfect. I queried agent but here is my delema...
The story is about a demon contracting with a female, who he slowly falls in love with. That is the basic plot. Now, the plot is not hinted at untill chapter 5. In the first 3 chapters we have said demon following a woman, untill she dies. In the next two chapters we have him following a young man, untill he dies. When sending sample chapters, should I start at one, or five where my story really starts? Chapter 1-5 are placed in there leading up to his newly formed contract/ love interest. They are made to show more of the demon world and how contracts work. So should I start at sample 5 or sample 1 of chapters? Also, this is intended to draw in female audiances, but in my synopsis goes as follows " so and so is a demon beckoned forward by the desires of mortals....when he is called forth by the desires of a female... blah blah..." but if I want to attract females, should I put my synopsis to center around her as in " so and so is having a hard time with so and so untill a demon comes into her life"?.
Thank you in advance!

CharleeVale

Re: Sample pages for an angent

Post by CharleeVale » June 21st, 2012, 12:43 am

I know Nathan will get to this, but I'm going to go ahead and say that you said it yourself.
paperxxflowers wrote: When sending sample chapters, should I start at one, or five where my story really starts?
If you story starts at Chapter 5, then your book should start at chapter 5. No one, especially agents, want to read what would essentially be four introduction chapters. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but it's true. Your book needs to start where your story starts. I would suggest cutting chapters 1-4, so the pages you would send would be from your now chapter 5.

But if you choose not to do that, your sample pages should always be from chapter one.

CV

paperxxflowers

Post by paperxxflowers » June 21st, 2012, 3:36 pm

I understand. It's not harsh at all. I think it will be a difficult move because the world I created is so huge. Instead of info dumping, I spend some time giving bits of info over the few chapters. This includes why lead male has a sidekick and such. I could take it out, but it would be a long process and stressful.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 24th, 2012, 5:56 pm

I agree with the sentiment that the book should probably start where the story starts. But as for an agent, they want to know where you think the book starts. So always always always send them pages 1-5, don't start them somewhere else in the book. If you can even start them at a different place and have it still make sense I'd really reevaluate where your book starts.

paperxxflowers

Post by paperxxflowers » June 24th, 2012, 7:57 pm

I have to say that yes, it does make sense. I could try leaving it, and if all else fails....option B. But thank you so much for the help. It's very appreciated.