Join Writing Association for Query Purposes?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
KyleS

Join Writing Association for Query Purposes?

Post by KyleS » June 18th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Hey Nathan -

Sorry if this question has been asked already, though I didn't see it on any other post:

Besides the invaluable help in editing or otherwise making connections to help get a prospective writer published, I'm wondering what your thought is on joining a writers' association (i.e. SCWBI, etc) just for the benefit of mentioning it in a query. Beneficial? It's obviously not going to be the only reason why an agent may request a ms., but it seems like it might help demonstrate to the agent that the query is a serious submission and that the author is willing to willing to network, etc. (I'm not recommending or referencing joining an association as a "ploy." Like others, I work full time and can't plan on attending all or most events - I'm just wondering if having the association membership mentioned in a query would be worth the fee to join. Does something like that normally tip the scale toward requesting a ms. verse passing?) Thoughts are appreciated - thanks.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Join Writing Association for Query Purposes?

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 19th, 2012, 12:46 am

KyleS wrote:Hey Nathan -

Sorry if this question has been asked already, though I didn't see it on any other post:

Besides the invaluable help in editing or otherwise making connections to help get a prospective writer published, I'm wondering what your thought is on joining a writers' association (i.e. SCWBI, etc) just for the benefit of mentioning it in a query. Beneficial? It's obviously not going to be the only reason why an agent may request a ms., but it seems like it might help demonstrate to the agent that the query is a serious submission and that the author is willing to willing to network, etc. (I'm not recommending or referencing joining an association as a "ploy." Like others, I work full time and can't plan on attending all or most events - I'm just wondering if having the association membership mentioned in a query would be worth the fee to join. Does something like that normally tip the scale toward requesting a ms. verse passing?) Thoughts are appreciated - thanks.
No, if you're joining just for a query benefit you're in it for the wrong reasons, in Bachelor parlance. That's not the reason to join and it's not going to be the thing an agent is deciding upon.