Querying for illustrations in YA

Questions for the resident (former) agent
winterone

Querying for illustrations in YA

Post by winterone » June 15th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Hey Nathan!

I've run into a bit of a dilemma with my querying. A very talented artist has taken on illustrating my YA fantasy. I would appreciate if her work was published with my novel, but we both agreed that it would not be necessary if it would impede my publication/finding an agent. How would I put this into my query? Though I am aware that each agent has their own guidelines, if there is no protocol apparent, how would I (and should I) include a sample in the submission?

Edit: One more follow-up question. Would it be expected that all of the illustrations be completed before a query, like the novel? Or does this have a bit more leigh-way, as long as there are a few solid pieces to include?

Thanks in advance!

Amanda

Nathan Bransford

Re: Querying for illustrations in YA

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 19th, 2012, 12:41 am

winterone wrote:Hey Nathan!

I've run into a bit of a dilemma with my querying. A very talented artist has taken on illustrating my YA fantasy. I would appreciate if her work was published with my novel, but we both agreed that it would not be necessary if it would impede my publication/finding an agent. How would I put this into my query? Though I am aware that each agent has their own guidelines, if there is no protocol apparent, how would I (and should I) include a sample in the submission?

Edit: One more follow-up question. Would it be expected that all of the illustrations be completed before a query, like the novel? Or does this have a bit more leigh-way, as long as there are a few solid pieces to include?

Thanks in advance!

Amanda
I wouldn't put that in the query, I think it's something to discuss with the agent if/when they're interested in your work. It's most likely the novel itself that is going to have to sink or swim.

And I don't think illustrations would need to be completed, samples would probably be satisfactory.

winterone

Re: Querying for illustrations in YA

Post by winterone » June 19th, 2012, 10:57 am

Thank you!