Contructing a Fantasy Super writing group

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
GaoYuQing

Re: Contructing a Fantasy Super writing group

Post by GaoYuQing » May 16th, 2012, 10:54 am

Well I'm new to this whole field so we'll see. Kinda going by feel here :) What I liked about the sound of DII was, actually, the stringency required by the group. You have to do at least 2 crits of at least 250 words each every month or you're kicked out. For every submission of your own you have to do two crits, so you can't inundate the board. And the membership is limited, so hopefully there's a fair distribution of crits going to everyone. But we shall see. Day 1 of membership isn't complete yet :) And like I said, once I'm done with the current piece, perhaps the slower pace of your group might fit better into my busy life. Time will tell. I'll keep an eye on this group development in the meantime.

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 21st, 2012, 8:17 am

OK, Well, 10 days old and this little idea has grown slightly from a spark to something larger than a spark but, alas, smaller that a roaring inferno.....but meh, there's still time, right?

There's still places going for anyone who likes the idea of joining in on this endeavour. The premise, method, and a few links to Brandon Sanderson lectures that inspried it, are all in previous posts on this thread so skim back and I'm sure you'll get our intentions pretty quick.

So this is half a bump, half a sit-rep, which leads me to.....

Moni, Brenda.....How's it going?

So how did you want to play it? Did you want to wait for another week to see if we can't rope in a few more participants, or are you eager to get cracking? Are we OK using LiveJournal or did you want to use another program? (I'm not really set in stone over the method at all). Did you wanna submit a sort of proposal before hand to catalogue minor themes, ideas etc or just pile headlong into the writing?

.....ok I've talked to much - laters

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » May 21st, 2012, 7:51 pm

I'm fine with using LiveJournal and starting any time. For the proposal I thought it may be easier to just type it up as an intro post. That way we can describe the novel, maybe what we want each other to watch out for, and different themes we may have been trying to express or something. I guess whatever we want to put into that we think is important for the readers. For me, I don't like to say too much about my work to readers because I don't want them to be influenced by what I say. I want them to go into it with fresh minds (with the exception of what it's supposed to be about).

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 22nd, 2012, 5:48 am

Yeah - that's kinda what I meant rather than a proposal.....you've just worded it infinately better....=0) So yeah, what you said, I'm all for that...hehe

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » May 22nd, 2012, 11:51 am

Umm...sure! LiveJournal! Whatever! I have no idea about any of this, so one program looks as good as the rest of them to me. I'll go with whatever you guys decide.

And I also like the idea of giving a brief explanation of the plot, audience, etc. That way we aren't going in blind. And I love the idea of letting each other know what we're looking for - there are a few things in my WIP that I would like more specific critiques on than others, and if you guys are willing to look a bit more closely for those then that would be terrific.

I'd be willing to start now or wait a little longer, though I don't know if anyone else is gonna jump in. I've got material ready whenever everyone says go. (Though I do have to figure out this LiveJournal thing...)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 22nd, 2012, 3:25 pm

OK guys - well I've set up my LJ account:

http://hillsy7.livejournal.com/ (I blitzed out a little intro, you know, for authenticity purposes...hehe)

It's pretty straightforward and there's a ton of settings on there for privacy.....obviously we'll have to add each other as friends for them to take hold. So add me on and we'll sort out a timetable from there.

Cool?

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » May 22nd, 2012, 4:00 pm

Okay guys, I got my LJ set up as well. Ready for it? Shocker: http://dios4vida.livejournal.com/. (Bet you couldn't have guessed my username! :P ) And Hillsy, I added you as my friend.

So...now what do I do??

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:43 pm

I have added both of you, hillsy and dios4vida as friends. Here is my link: http://breakinglit.livejournal.com/

I don't know about the two of you, but I'm starting to get a little excited. I'll get my intro posted as soon as I can, probably sometime tomorrow.

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 23rd, 2012, 8:26 am

OK - so its....*checks watch*....Wednesday.

If we get the intro posts as Moni said up by, say, Midnight? Then we can all have a read. Then post the first 1000 by Midnight Thursday, and then every subsequent Thursday thereafter.....Too soon? Am I too excited and getting carried away?

After, say, the first 5K we can have a reassessment on times n wordcounts n such?

Groovy?

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » May 23rd, 2012, 12:52 pm

EDIT: Yeah, I just went ahead and did a personal intro, and chose my non-completed WIP. So this post is basically null and void. :) But my intro is up!

Hey guys, two things:

I was wondering if in our introduction post we'd want to do a little personal introduction as well as a WIP introduction. I like knowing about the people I'm working with. If you aren't comfortable with that no problem, but I'd love to hear a little about each of you. :)

Also, I have two WIPs at the moment. One is almost completed and off to my critique partner, the other is about 20K in. I was leaning towards the one that's less finished, since it seems strange to do critiques on something that will be sent off shortly. Do you guys agree?

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 23rd, 2012, 7:19 pm

You've lead the way now - I did the same....=0P

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 24th, 2012, 7:04 pm

nataliebrann wrote:I wish I had subscribed to the Writer's Digest tutorials before I started writing, because it would have saved me soooo much time and I could have carved the story to fit the genre I think sells best instead of letting the story dictate the genre I am forced to be in
............................ :roll:

Anyways - I've chucked up the first thousand on there with 1 minute to spare until midnight 23:59 on the nose! - Well technically it's the first 1200 but it's a self contained chapter and I'm rounding down....little statistical trick....hehe.....I don't mind if you guys sling up more than the 1000 if it's a neat cut - I'll probably end up balancing it out over time anyway...=0)

Looking forward to your openings!

Let the massacre begin....YAY!

PabloGCC

Post by PabloGCC » May 25th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Hello everyone! Hillsy here has invited me to join your group and I would be thrilled to do so.

Looking forward to working with you :)

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » May 29th, 2012, 1:41 pm

<waves> Hi, Pablo! :D

PabloGCC

Post by PabloGCC » May 30th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Hello! Glad to be on the team :)

Alright everyone, sorry for the delay. Finals and stuff, but now I'm on holidays :)

Here's my live jounral link: http://pablogcc.livejournal.com/