What pays your rent?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Re: What pays your rent?

Post by dios4vida » March 22nd, 2012, 7:56 pm

Falls Apart wrote:My parents. Hey, I'm in high school. But I do have a job. I work at my town's library, shelving, sorting, tidying, etc. I don't earn much from it, but I like it. I also plan to get an additional job this summer with more hours, not because I want to, but because... college... tuition... expensive... *cowers in fear of the future*
Wow, Falls Apart. I thought you were older than high school! (And you're probably the only person on the forums who wouldn't be offended by that...I hope. Please take that in the spirit it was given, i.e. that you sound so much more mature than most high schoolers.) Good luck with the tuition and college and all that. :)

Also - You're a library page?! That's what the shelvers are called in my local library system. And, would you believe it, that right there was the dream job I had to quit because of my loser joints. I so envy you. I loved shelving books at the library. It was the only job I've ever had that I never ever woke up thinking "I don't want to go to work today." I loved every minute of it.

Yeah, I know. Total nerd alert. But it's true.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » March 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Margo wrote:Writing. I make the same with writing now as I do with my day job as a resource analyst. Its time to start looking at quitting the day job, but I'll probably spend at least the next couple of months socking more away in the savings account.
Margo, you are where a lot of want to be. You're in the thick of it all! Living the dream baby! I wish you well most heartily and lots of good luck!
(And thanks again for your great workshops at the Bransforumfest. Awesome.)
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » March 23rd, 2012, 8:09 pm

dios4vida wrote:
Falls Apart wrote:My parents. Hey, I'm in high school. But I do have a job. I work at my town's library, shelving, sorting, tidying, etc. I don't earn much from it, but I like it. I also plan to get an additional job this summer with more hours, not because I want to, but because... college... tuition... expensive... *cowers in fear of the future*
Wow, Falls Apart. I thought you were older than high school! (And you're probably the only person on the forums who wouldn't be offended by that...I hope. Please take that in the spirit it was given, i.e. that you sound so much more mature than most high schoolers.) Good luck with the tuition and college and all that. :)

Also - You're a library page?! That's what the shelvers are called in my local library system. And, would you believe it, that right there was the dream job I had to quit because of my loser joints. I so envy you. I loved shelving books at the library. It was the only job I've ever had that I never ever woke up thinking "I don't want to go to work today." I loved every minute of it.

Yeah, I know. Total nerd alert. But it's true.
Thanks, and no offense taken! And, yup, I'm a page; I just didn't call it that because I wasn't sure if other libraries referred to it as the same thing. Totally get what you're saying about liking the work, though. It's pretty much my ideal job: a set of easily defined tasks to be accomplished, minimal opportunities to embarrass myself with my lack of social skills, and, of course, being surrounded by books :)

Mira

Post by Mira » March 24th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Margo wrote:Writing. I make the same with writing now as I do with my day job as a resource analyst. Its time to start looking at quitting the day job, but I'll probably spend at least the next couple of months socking more away in the savings account.
Wow, Margo. That's incredible. Congratulations!! :D

Philabuster

Post by Philabuster » April 6th, 2012, 12:57 am

I'm in the last true industry of starving artists. I work as a waiter at a steakhouse.

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » May 14th, 2012, 11:24 am

I'm a Senior Platform UNIX/Linux Engineer.

GaoYuQing

Post by GaoYuQing » May 15th, 2012, 10:08 am

I'm the lead Microbiologist at a start-up pharmaceutical manufacturing facility.

macklinvinger

Post by macklinvinger » June 26th, 2012, 2:48 am

I am full agrre with you.
I'm a teller at a bank. It's probably close to a care giver job. I get to see people at thier worst and try to help them sort out the good and bad decisions that they made. Oh yes, and people get to yell at me. A lot. Another reason to hope that someday writing will pay the bills!

writersink

Post by writersink » June 26th, 2012, 5:27 am

Hi five! The parents rule!

Amanda Elizabeth

Post by Amanda Elizabeth » June 26th, 2012, 7:50 am

I have two jobs -- the first is the necessity (consistent paycheck, benefits) at a health-related holding company. I was my boss's first hire so I'm special and got to move to LA and telecommute :-D My other is my passion: horses. I don't need it, but I've been riding for 20+ years so if I have a chance to get paid for it, why would I ever say no?