Resume?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
TaylorNapolsky

Resume?

Post by TaylorNapolsky » April 15th, 2012, 11:51 pm

An agent I want to query requires a resume. I'm used to agents needing query letters and synopses, but does anyone know what an author's resume should look like? Or can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Mira

Re: Resume?

Post by Mira » April 16th, 2012, 5:09 pm

Taylor, I really have no idea. I didn't know that agents even want resumes!

You might want to re-post this in the Ask Nathan thread. He would probably have a better idea....

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » April 17th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Unless you applied for a job as his or her assistant, that sounds really weird. If you're querying non-fiction, I could see them wanting to know your qualifications, but a resume sounds off.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

writersink

Post by writersink » April 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm

What agent/ agency is it? Perhaps if you post a link to their website here so we can check it out?

I've never heard of an agent who wanted a resume. After all, shouldn't it be all about the novel?

TaylorNapolsky

Post by TaylorNapolsky » April 18th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I feel dumb for not responding sooner.

But anyway, the agency is Curtis Brown. http://www.curtisbrown.com/submissions.php

Here is the blurb:

"Curtis Brown represents adult and children’s authors of all genres, including illustrators. If you would like to submit a manuscript or proposal, please send us a query letter, a synopsis of the work, a sample chapter and a brief resume. Illustrators should send 1-2 samples of published work, along with 6-8 color copies (no original art)."

It seems everyone is pretty baffled, but if you have any helpful ideas, please let me know. I actually really want one person here to represent me, so I'm hoping I can figure this out!

Thanks!

Mira

Post by Mira » April 18th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Wow, you know Taylor, that Nathan worked at Curtis Brown? I might definitely re-post this question in the Ask Nathan thread. Hopefully, he'd know what they are looking for.

I will say,though, if they want a brief resume, I'd probably send just that. Something pretty brief, just work history. No idea why they want that, though.

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » April 19th, 2012, 12:47 am

I'm with Curtis Brown, but the Australian branch. There's no requirement for a resume, but my submission required that a cover letter was sent, which included "any pertinent biographical information such as former publications or any special knowledge or experience that is relevant to the book". I'd honestly just do that. If you don't have any prior pub credits, however, I'm not really sure...

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » April 19th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Sounds like they mean writing resume, i.e. publication history.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage